Venice Beach dive report June 6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tlawler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I did an early morning dive at the beach park at the end of Venice Ave. before work. Got in the water at 7:33. Surface conditions very calm. Water temp. 84. Vis was an astounding 20ft. Easily the best vis I've seen in a long time at this site. Did ok on teeth, only 37 on an 87 min. dive. I was admiring the vis, mainly. I can't remember seeing that much of the reef at one time since I don't know when. I was surprised that I was the only diver there even when I left around 9:20. I dove the same site on Sunday, starting about 7:45, first in the water. When I got out, I counted 17 flags! Vis was maybe 5 to 8 ft. with a pretty good surge on Sunday. I'm thinking I might go out in the morning again. Any early birds want to join me? I'm going to try to get in the water between 7:15 and 7:30.

I want to try Alhambra, but was concerned about parking. Do you just park at the end of the road by the condo?

Just be careful, they just put up no parking signs (in the last couple of weeks) on the side of the road closest to the condos, between the driveways. I didn't see it, fortunately another diver pointed it out to me. You can still park at the end and on the other side of the road - also further up, past the second driveway from the beach.

I was wondering if the conditions would be good, the wind has been blowing pretty hard out of the west.

GCD...I think you guys were heading out just as I was coming in. Too bad we missed each other. The vis was getting worse as I was coming back. It seemed to be about 12 to 15 ft. when I was going out around 7:25, but had definitely dropped off by when you were hitting the water. That was my first time at Alhambra and I noticed everything seemed to be covered by green slimy algae that I haven't seen up by the Venice Ave. beach park. I wonder if it's from runoff coming from the drain pipes? There's more of a reef at the beach park too. I'm thinking I'd like to try Casperson Beach next, at the Southern end of Venice. Anyone have any feedback on that area?

ReefGuy:
I was wondering if the conditions would be good, the wind has been blowing pretty hard out of the west.

It was dead calm when I got there this morning, seas like glass. But it was a little breezier when I exited, and from the West-Southwest, too.

diversolo:
GCD...I think you guys were heading out just as I was coming in. Too bad we missed each other. The vis was getting worse as I was coming back. It seemed to be about 12 to 15 ft. when I was going out around 7:25, but had definitely dropped off by when you were hitting the water. That was my first time at Alhambra and I noticed everything seemed to be covered by green slimy algae that I haven't seen up by the Venice Ave. beach park. I wonder if it's from runoff coming from the drain pipes? There's more of a reef at the beach park too. I'm thinking I'd like to try Casperson Beach next, at the Southern end of Venice. Anyone have any feedback on that area?

We didn't see that green slimy algae last week when we were there (same spot) but this time it was every where. Sorry we missed you.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom