Venice Beach dive report June 18

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tlawler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Well...A happy Fathers day to all.

Went diving at the beach park early this morning. Got in the water just before 7. Vis was in the 5 to 6 ft. range, but deteriorated to about 2 to 4 or so by the time I left. Water temp is 85 deg. Seas were flat with a barely perceptable ripple. No surge at all. All in all a pretty good dive with a bottom time of 160 min. (on a hp 119) I think I'll stick to 80's or 100's for this dive from now on. Got a total of 63 teeth, mostly small, but a few nice ones, no megs, tho.

I have a question for the people who regularly do the sharks tooth dive. Do you use some sort of strainer or screening apparatus to sift for teeth? I just pick up the ones that are evident, maybe fanning the sand a little, but no sifting. Everyone seems to pull out a lot more teeth(pun intended) on a routine dive than I do and I was wondering if that's how it's usually done...or is my eyesight just getting that bad?

When I went out with Florida West Scuba, I asked the same question. They said just fan for them. My eyes stink, so I didn't get too many. One small meg, though. I guess it's time for corrective lenses.

I just pick them up off the bottom.

You may find that you see them better just off the gravel toward shore.

I usually over-weight myself for a slightly negative bouyancy.

Once I find 20-30 on the edge of the gravel (about 20 min with good vis), I move onto the gravel and beyond looking for megs. I usually end up finding some slightly larger teeth on the back side of the gravel. Every once in a while, I find a meg.

I'm no expert at it and I also haven't found a meg large enough to make a difference.

I don't sift or anything, just pick 'em up.

Just cover a lot of ground picking them off the top.
Also went this morning, got a whale vertebra, piece of a mammoth tooth, a beat up 3 1/2" meg and about 50 small teeth.

went today with wife to the boneyard and we found 70 or so teeth , puffer mouth, misc bones a sweet mako(destined to the end of a necklace for my wife) , and a 3.5 inch meg:D

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom