Ginnie Springs - Cavern Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

happydiver

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just got back from High Springs, Florida. My group of four went down to Ginnie Springs after signing up for the two day Cavern Course. They were two long days (12 hours each day not including driving time). We had about 8 hours of classroom training and homework the first night. We also did a "homework" dive the first night. We did 3 dives the next day after on land line drills and no vis drills.

The course was outstanding and the caverns at Devil's Eye and Devil's Ear were absolutely incredible!! We are so excited about practicing our newly acquired skills this summer so that we can sign up for the Intro to Cave course early next year.

Ginnie Springs was a beautiful place to dive and to just hang out. Even if you don't want to get cavern certified, you can still dive in the main Ginnie cavern and throughout the non cavern and cave areas.

One sidenote is that they won't let you take lights into the water around Devil's Eye and Ear and Spring if you are not cavern or cave certified. This keeps out (or is at least intended to keep out) untrained divers and helps saves lives.

Scheck Exley's accident anaylisis says that most divers die in caves and caverns due to:

Lack of training
Failure to lay a continuous guideline
Run out of air
Depths
Light failure

Well, just wanted to share my new experience with you all in case anyone was wondering about it!

Safe diving!

Even if you never plan to go caving, I give my highest recommendation for the cavern course for all divers. The skills you learn in this course carry over into all areas of diving.. It's a skills and information packed weekend that's well worth it.
Rick

Hi, digging around the archives since I'm taking a cavern diving course this weekend when I found the above posts. Heading out to Lake City this weekend to get certified in cavern diving. I hope I have as great of an experience as you did!!!

Hey Happy Diver,

Would you happen to have any additional contact information for the folks at Ginnie Springs? It seems that no one has any way to get in touch with them down there.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom