Fresh Back from the Keys :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaPixie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Farmington Hills, MI --> Weeki Wachee, FL
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok so everybody's been asking for details on the Trip Pictures on my profile page, http://blog.myspace.com/aquapixie so I figured Id write up a road trip report

Note this is VERY long!

So here ya go! Florida Keys 7/06
So on the spur of the moment we decided to take a impromptu trip - Thanks to NJD and 'Frequent Flyer Miles'. So off to the Key's NJD and I head ..

Dreamily we fall into a vacationers slumber after our days travel, dreaming of the up and coming morning dives...with Diver City.

After breakfast, We locate the shop Diver City on Tavernier Key, just a short distance up the road. The shop is a small little place but they have a very nice boat and the co-captains Bob and Barb where great.

There is a Tropical storm blowing in so we decided that it may be best to do the Spiegel Grove today since currents where light to moderate. So off we head. First you should know some things about me and wrecks- Umm.. I dont really like them so much..

Iv dove approximately 12 wrecks at various depth in various environments, an none have I really Enjoyed. Im not quite sure what it is about them that leave me so unsettled but theres something about being on a wreck that leaves me feeling a bit anxious. NJD thinks its quite odd, because I LOVE Caverns and Caves yet wrecks give me the willies! So off to the Spiegel Grove we head.

Spiegel Grove (55 -130ft): The Spiegel is a decommissioned navel ship. Another victim of the ocean's wrath, the ship originally sunk prematurely landing upside down. Well divers just didn't like her upside-down, so in 2000 with a load of effort (not to mention a ton of $) they managed to turn her on her side, cut some holes in her for penetration diving and a new artificial reef and ecosystem was on its way. Don't you know, Mother Ocean had a better idea? Along comes Hurricane Dennis and set her right side up in 2002 just 2 years after her initial up righting. Imagine this monster ship, 510 ft long, 85 ft wide and 6880 lbs of steel sitting in only 130 ft of water being up righted by a storm surge!

Her superstructure reaching to within 55 ft of the surface and at a max depth of 130 ft. is impressive to say the least! This is not a dive for "new divers" she's a little deep (above Advanced AOW training and recreational dive limits). The currents in the area can run stiff at times so be careful what you ask for. This is the mother of all wrecks! she's really big. We lucked out this morning as our captains had suggested, not only where we the ONLY divers on the wreck that morning but current was moderate!

We gear up, and giant stride off the back off the boat, into the warm Atlantic ocean. Down, down, down the decent line we free fall Slowly we begin to see the shadow of the ship 50 ft below us. Slowly, emerging from the depths, reaching towards us as we fall towards her decks. We come upon the bow deck and slip just under railing area to get out of the current. There are Barracuda, EVERYWHERE! Huge ones, approximately 3-5 ft in length just riding the current.

Dive plan was to drop on the bow, do approx 18 min (no-deco) dive at depth of max 110 on 32% Nitrox at a 1.5 CNS clock we followed the plan, heading back towards aft-deck we go along the starboard side (out of the current) there is much growth here, we see plenty of cup coral and tree stars and various spreading plate type corals growing along the sides and door ways. Tons of Fish! Barracuda, Angels, Grunts, Snapper, Puffers, Tuna and huge Tarpon! We enter a few of the doorways where we can see light on the other side allowing us to penetrate and look around a bit at the interior and its new inhabitants, various fish and coral life.

As we head towards the back we go up approx 20 ft to the pilot house where we can see a great view of the bow area. We then head further back and run into an area they call the well deck here there are two 50ft cranes eerily hanging over this well deck (which you can not see the bottom of) lost in the murkiness of depth. So this is where I get hit with the willies, I look out over this expanse and think Wholly Crap! I got to cross this, and its in the direct current (which by now is getting stiff) at about 80 ft deep and this about 150 ft across and it looks scary but I got to go cause my up line is at the other end another 300+ ft back! So cross it we do.. its not so bad.. But willies none the less So we get to the up line and begin our accent.
Wow what a cool dive! Lets do it again!
So thats exactly what we do after our sit interval we gear back up and head back down to dive #2 on the S.G. Pretty much the same plan as last time however this time, I DONT go over the well deck! We where heading back there like before and when I got there I just couldnt. It was kinda like coming to the edge of a cliff, I just could not take that step over the ledge. We had to ascend using the bow line this time

Again I say, Wow what a cool dive! Lets do it again!

Once surfaced we headed off to see the bronze reproduction of "Il Christo Delgi Abissi" (Christ of the Abyss), which rests in the Mediterranean Sea. An Italian skin diving enthusiast, Egidi Cressi, donated this nine-foot tall bronze statue to the Underwater Society of America and it now rests in John Pennycamp Marine Park. It is a beautiful piece, it is sitting in about 25 ft of water, even snorkelers can view it from the surface, its arms are reaching up thru the warm blue waters as it gazes towards the surface. The surrounding reef is a spur and grove reef with many crevices and coral mounds where fish have made there homes, we even found a scallop and some lobsters. Amazing Coral Sea fans and Gregorians.

End of diving for day 1

Day two. We head off to do the Eagle (another wreck) and two reefs, the Aquarium and Davis Ledge.

The Eagle Wreck (70 - 110):. Current was light on this particular day. This was actually a very cool dive. Hurricane George broke this wreck in half, She is amazingly beautiful and full of old growth. This 287 long freighter is small enough to travel her entire length during one dive. She was sunk as an artificial reef in 1985 and lies on her starboard rail with twin masts reaching out into the sandy bottom floor. She's just a magnet for aquatic life attracting a vast variety of marine life, including 2 HUGE Goliath Groupers each approx 6-8 ft in length and weighing at least 300+ lbs! There where tarpon, jacks, schooling baitfish and a whole lot more. This dive is a *must see* for wreck divers.

Next we went off to do our reef dives for the day;

The first reef of the day was The Aquarium (35 -45): Also known as A-Patch B-Patch, these twin patch reefs are inhabited by schools of Nurse sharks and barracuda also tropical reef fish. There is an abundance of juvenile reef fish here as well. We where hoping to see some sharks but this site was CRAZY! We saw over 15 sharks on this single 50 minute dive! We saw resting sharks, swimming sharks and even mating sharks, they where everywhere. At one point I was taking a still photo of a spotted moray on a coral head, when I felt this push on my side. I look over and see NJD just ahead to the right and a 7 ft nurse shark just passing behind me to my right. When we surface NJD tells me the push I felt was him pushing me out of the way of the nurse shark that was heading right for my right thigh, the shark was approx. 3 ft from me when NJD intervened (and thats why you buddy dive ppl!)

To end the days diving we went to a rather simple (so we thought) reef, called Davis Ledge (20 -30): This is a shallow reef. Home to several green morays, Parrot and Trunk fish,. You can also "meditate" with the Buddha. It was an OK dive .. Minus us getting lost on the top of the reef. .. Who knew it dissolved into ruble on the other side..

End of diving for Day 2.

Day three, today we are doing only a two tank dive. The Duane (YET ANOUTHER WRECK!!) Go ME!! and Molasses (Canyons) Reef.

First we went out to the USCG Cutter Duane (70 to 120): This is a 327 Coast Guard cutter, sunk as an artificial reef in 1987, the Duane sits upright on the sand. Like someone went out and built it there. It offers numerous swim-threws on its upper decks and boasts large schools of barracuda bigger then myself (not kidding!) and other fish in and around the superstructure. The current on this dive was absolutely ripping. We where hanging on the decent/ascent line flapping like flags on a pole in a brisk wind! This is one of the premier wrecks in my opinion! (note previous wreck diving enjoyment comments earlier)

We finished up our diving on Molasses (Canyons) Reef (20-45): We where told this is the most popular reef in John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park as was evident by the number of dive boats there, and with good reason. We did this dive as a drift dive and it was great! There are fantastic coral formations and sea fans, high relief ledges, strands of Elkhorn and an immense quantity of marine life. We even had a friendly File fish follow us along, almost the duration of our 55 minute dive. Defiantly one of my favorites of the trip.

The following day we headed down to Key West to locate this French restaurant we had visited last time we where here. We found it, but it had moved. On our way to locate it we came across an great little place called Blue Heaven, not our French café, but enjoyable none the less. We ended our day shopping on Bourbon and Devaul St.
Fun, Fun! Fun!
So as you can see I had a fabulous time. Thank you for taking a moment to read my story. I hope you enjoyed it, even if it is only a fraction of the enjoyment I received from doing it!

Muah Pixie!

Sounds like a great time

yeah, sounds like a lot of fun... i've done those dives (some many times) and you
do a great job describing them

Different strokes for different folks. I did a double dip on the Eagle this weekend and also Davis. I loved Davis and could have stayed there all day.
With your description of the Aquarium, it is now on my list of must dives!
Thanks for the report!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom