Probably answered many times, but....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Port Tack

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am planning a trip to Key Largo and my friend does not dive. She likes to snorkel and I wondered which outfits carry both groups on their boats? Will I be able to pair up or will I need to hire a guide? Any helpful hints appreciated.

Mike

almost all Keys dive ops allow snorkelers, but not necessarily on all trips...e.g.-if they are doing a deep wreck....many ops do a "dive-only" trip in the morning and in the afternoons mix it up with divers, snorkelers, DSD, SNUBA, etc.....usually you can get paired up with another diver on the boat, but sometimes a DM may be required for an extra couple of bucks if no one else is available...my best advice is to call around to the various ops and ask them these same questions since they all operate a little differently.....have a great trip!!!!!

p.s.-when you have your plans set, make a post on here and someone may be willing to buddy up with you, myself included

Thanks for the information. I will post again when my plans are solid.

Mike

Check out Island Ventures www.islandventure.com They've been under new ownership for about 1 yr, and I've personally have not had an experience with the new owners; the former owner did take snorkelers and divers on the same trip. Maybe the new owners have followed suit.

Also, check out It's a Dive. www.itsadive.com They are located at the Key Largo Marriott hotel, and they do take snorkelers and divers on the same boat.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Port Tack:
I am planning a trip to Key Largo and my friend does not dive. She likes to snorkel and I wondered which outfits carry both groups on their boats? Will I be able to pair up or will I need to hire a guide? Any helpful hints appreciated.

Mike
Most ops (ours included) offer combination dive/snorkel trips, and will allow you to buddy-up with another paying passenger. If you haven't dived during the past year, then you'll probably be required to hire a guide (~$50) on your first trip. Reserve your seats in advance to avoid disappointment. Enjoy!

Silent World runs morning and afternoon trips that snorklers are welcome on. If you are a solo diver--the captains will try to buddy you up with someone of equal dive experience.

Enjoy your trip to the Keys!!

PORT TACK - Everyone is answering your question but I got to chime in not with an answer but with advice.

Your friend only snorkels. You dive. You are Male. She is Female.

I encourage you to see if your friend is interested in Scuba.

Plan#2- When you first arrive to the Keys I would do several Snorkel trips with her. Go on several boats as snorkel only so you are there for the experience. I can not think of anything worse for me than to have people come up and Say "Wow that was amazing did you see all the fish under the ledge?" She of course did not.

You can snorkel all over the keys and see a gret many things. The "Reef" diving on most boats is in the 20~25' range if you are on a snorkel boat.

Just a thought, and my .02

Thanks for the thoughts Eric. She is VERY interested in Scuba and has even taken the course. The problem is she has an ear problem where she just cannot clear the left ear. She has tried many times and had a patient instuctor trying to help, but it just would not clear. She even gave it a few weeks and tried a second time with no luck. I just thought maybe we could enjoy the same boat with a combination trip and I am really looking for shallow dives anyway.

Mike

Port Tack:

Encourage your friend not to give up without at least seeing a physician about the specific complaint. Even congenital anomalies might be worked around, if such a cause is identified. And if surrender is the best course, then she will be safer for knowing not to continue trying.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom