How/What should I pack for my trip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

erparamedic

Vampire Girl......er Dork
Reaction score
My husband and I will be in West Palm in December... actually, the 9-16. We are starting to think about packing, and we aren't quite sure how to pack for the weather.

What are the average air temps in West Palm for mid-December? Should we pack mostly/or all pants, or bring some shorts or (for me) capris? Should we bring a jacket?

As for water temps, I've heard low to mid 70's.... is this about right? We are bringing 3 mil suits... should that suffice? (We are used to diving down to 70 degrees in a 3 mil)

Are there any "must haves" for the area? What are some things you would highly recommend?

Any info is greatly appreciated, and will help us to pack appropriately. Thanks, everyone! :D

It is really hard to say. Yesterday morning it was 51 but by the mid afternoon it was pushing 80. Your best bet is to pull up the local weather online a couple of days before your trip and then pack accordingly. Capris always work here! :eek:)

Wow! I'm surprised that there's only been one reply! Thank you kjunheart!

CAPT HOOK:
If a cold front comes thru, you might have to forget the diving! but since you're from Indy you can keep the shorts.

Can you elaborate on the "cold front"? Does it make for rough seas? Does it make bad vis or cooler water?

We don't have to worry about that here in Indy... with only quarry dives to do, half (or more) of them are little to no vis anyway.

erparamedic:
Can you elaborate on the "cold front"? Does it make for rough seas? Does it make bad vis or cooler water?

We don't have to worry about that here in Indy... with only quarry dives to do, half (or more) of them are little to no vis anyway.

The dreaded cold fronts roll through every so often to blow out dives. Simply stated, cold fronts create two to five days (depending on the strength of the front) of horrible rough seas. Timing is everything with these fronts. Last winter I think every front showed up on weekends. The water would be flat all week, the Friday kick up six foot seas that subsided on Monday or Tuesday.

BTW- I left Broad Ripple four years ago to move down here....I dont think Indy misses me either. :D

matts1w:
The dreaded cold fronts roll through every so often to blow out dives. Simply stated, cold fronts create two to five days (depending on the strength of the front) of horrible rough seas. Timing is everything with these fronts. Last winter I think every front showed up on weekends. The water would be flat all week, the Friday kick up six foot seas that subsided on Monday or Tuesday.

BTW- I left Broad Ripple four years ago to move down here....I dont think Indy misses me either. :D

Thank you for the clarification.

Oh, and I live about 20-25 minutes from Broadripple. Small world, huh!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom