Biscayne? Key Largo? 6 packs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

creekland

Registered
Reaction score
We're heading to Florida - Everglades area - Jan 25th - 27th and would love to dive somewhere for at least one of those days. Since we're a family of 5 (OW certified - 3 kids Jr OW), we'd ideally like a 6 pack boat - or even shore diving (if possible). A google search shows tons of possiblities, but personal experience beats google's "top choice" - hence my question.

Any recommendations? We're novices, having been in HI and the St Lawrence River (+ quarry diving).

We're most likely going to camp at Long Pine Key Campground in Everglades NP. We love camping, besides, it's cheaper - and we didn't plan on this trip till recently, so camping anywhere where one needs reservations (like in the keys) is pretty much out of the question.

We've been in that area before, but not since we've gotten dive certified, so the area is familiar to us, (and the time to drive to Key Largo, etc, from the campground), but not where to go (specifically) for diving - or who to go with.

creekland:
We're most likely going to camp at Long Pine Key Campground in Everglades NP. We love camping, besides, it's cheaper - and we didn't plan on this trip till recently, so camping anywhere where one needs reservations (like in the keys) is pretty much out of the question.

We've been in that area before, but not since we've gotten dive certified, so the area is familiar to us, (and the time to drive to Key Largo, etc, from the campground), but not where to go (specifically) for diving - or who to go with.

From where you're going to be at (11-12 miles inside ENP), you'll want to do an afternoon trip either in Key Largo to the south or Key Biscayne to the north. The six-pack Minnow (already mentioned is a good choice) and in Key Biscayne, Dive Paradise can run your trip on one of their three boats (I think one is a six-pack). Getting out of Homestead via the Turnpike northbound on a weekday morning has become a pain in the arse since so much development has taken place down there.

There is also a dive operator in Biscayne National Park in Homestead but they only run their boat on Saturday and Sunday so Saturday the 29th would be your only option. If you choose that option, they need six to make the boat run and I'd happily come down to be the sixth diver :D (I personally think the reefs there are one of the two best in the state, the other being the Boynton/Delray area)

Charlie - Thank you for the recommendation for the "3 hour tour" :) Wouldn't mind being stranded for a few months down in the Keys... I bet they get lots of comments on their boat's name, so we'll have to try to refrain when there - had to "get it out" here... The recommendation is appreciated and I've sent them an inquiry to see if they are available on our dates.

Brian - I looked at the park concessionaire site and they now say an 8 person minimum... I'm planning on calling them later today to see if they have room, and if they have any others looking at that date to make minimum. We'd love to take you up on your offer to be a 6th - do you have a couple other friends (if needed). Diving one of the top two reefs in the state has us drooling and dreaming...

We're kind of thinking... instead of choosing one or the other, we might choose both Biscayne NP and Pennecamp (if they are available for our dates). This is SUPPOSED to be a working vacation, but we're getting serious diving withdrawals and can't imagine being so close and NOT going. Work can be done in the "after dark" hours, right? :)

Just adding that we signed up for the Biscayne NP dive for Saturday Jan 27th... They need 8 to go - we're 5 of them. Would love to see 3 others sign up between now and then! They can take up to 26, but there's no need to max out the boat... just looking for a reasonable number... :)

The number to call is 305-230-1100 if anyone will be there and wants to go (reservations are required so they say anyway). Cost is $54... $6 extra if you need tanks... not sure on other rental costs as we don't need them, so didn't ask.

creekland:
Just adding that we signed up for the Biscayne NP dive for Saturday Jan 27th... They need 8 to go - we're 5 of them. Would love to see 3 others sign up between now and then! They can take up to 26, but there's no need to max out the boat... just looking for a reasonable number... :)

The number to call is 305-230-1100 if anyone will be there and wants to go (reservations are required so they say anyway). Cost is $54... $6 extra if you need tanks... not sure on other rental costs as we don't need them, so didn't ask.

Creek,

I'll sign-up today and I'll invite some friends and buddies. I'm sure we'll get the other two divers :wink:

creekland:
Just adding that we signed up for the Biscayne NP dive for Saturday Jan 27th... They need 8 to go - we're 5 of them. Would love to see 3 others sign up between now and then!

I just reserved spots for me and two other buddies. This trip is now a definite go :14:
We'll see you Saturday the 27th about 745ish.

Does anyone else want to join us? Call 305-230-1100 to make your reservation.

Guys - if the wind is blowing near 15knts the day before and it is looking to be the same for the day you are going dive, you should call Biscayne up in advance.

That operator will cancel trips when almost everybody else in Southern Florida is going out. On my first trip they scubbed our scheduled wall dive about 1/2 way out and we did some good shallow dives.

The second time I tried them they cancelled the dives after I drove up from KL.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom