All this talk about lemon sharks...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MantaRey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
How about a real shark?

I'm 99.99% sure I caught a glimpse of a hammerhead here in west palm a couple days ago. Just on the edge of visibility I saw that big hump and very upright dorsal with massive tail fin. Hopefully the coming weeks will bring more. :)

didn't know hammerheads come through FL. pretty cool. i've only seen one and that was in the sea of cortez. good luck finding more!

I've seen quite a few here in FL, fortunately I'll my sigthings have been fishing and not diving =)
The last one I saw came to check out our trolling spread in the back of the boat... This boat had a 10' beam and the hammer head was longer!!!

They are actually really tough to get close to while diving. And we have some big ones here (Great Hammerhead not scalloped? I think) It's amazing that something so perfectly evolved is just terrified of us divers.

We end up seeing a handful of them for the year, nearly all of them during these winter months. The day before the guys here saw one from the boat just off the breakers in around 30 feet of water. Of course this was on my day off otherwise I would've jumped in. :)

I've seen 2 hammerheads so far (in Florida). 1 in Boynton Beach, and 1 in Jupiter

I have seen a few hammerheads. I saw one real close in jupiter. Heck I saw one here in Fort Pierce last week. It was like 16" and in a bucket of a surf caster. Hope to get some lemmon sightings in soon.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom