Islamorada / Tavernier Dive Shop Choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

weaponeer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The wife and I are making our annual dive trip to the Keys in May. The dive shop operator (Tavernier Dive Center) we've always used has sold his business and moved back to New Hampshire. Now we have to choose a new dive center. There are a number operating in the Islamorada and Tavernier area, but which one is the best? We want trips to reefs and wrecks, including the Speigel Grove, and of course, the best service. Suggestions, please.

What do you mean by "service"? If you are talking about having their cookies and soda during your surface interval, then my recommendation isn't for you. If you are talking about smallish, quickish boats that leave on time, take you to where you want to go and do so for a very reasonable price, I like SilentWorld. They'll take you to the Spiegal, Duane, and some reefs that others won't take you to (too far away).

I should also say SilentWorld is on Key Largo, so the drive might make it too far for you.

del_mo:
What do you mean by "service"? If you are talking about having their cookies and soda during your surface interval, then my recommendation isn't for you. If you are talking about smallish, quickish boats that leave on time, take you to where you want to go and do so for a very reasonable price, I like SilentWorld. They'll take you to the Spiegal, Duane, and some reefs that others won't take you to (too far away).

I should also say SilentWorld is on Key Largo, so the drive might make it too far for you.
We'll be making at least 10 dives (5 days). What is meant by "service" is, a shop that tries its best to see that you don't dive the same site twice (unless you want to) during multiple dive days, has a clean and safe boat, has gear rinse facility, and helps you in and out of the water, to name a few items of "service". If it was just me diving, all I care about is safety. When diving with my wife, I don't want her to have to struggle getting aboard after a dive, along with the other items I mentioned.

I've dove Conch Republic once (when Tavernier Dive Center was going back to the Speigel, which we had just dove the day before). They did alright, and I'd dive them again. I'm just looking for real opinions. I've checked over most of the Tavernier and Islamorada dive shop web sites to compare, but there is nothing better than honest opinions from fellow divers.

Conch republic divers would be an excellent choice, I also hear good things about Keys divers out of Bud/Mary Marina in Islamorada

weaponeer:
The wife and I are making our annual dive trip to the Keys in May. The dive shop operator (Tavernier Dive Center) we've always used has sold his business and moved back to New Hampshire. Now we have to choose a new dive center. There are a number operating in the Islamorada and Tavernier area, but which one is the best? We want trips to reefs and wrecks, including the Speigel Grove, and of course, the best service. Suggestions, please.

I'd give Cristal Clear Charters my vote, they'll even give you a chance to come try them out for free in May. Details are here: http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=2566943&postcount=85 It's pretty simple, print a copy of your ScubaBoard profile, make your reservation for your date in May, and post a report here after your dive to tell the rest of the ScubaBoard members about your experience. They've got three boats running in the Upper Keys, and at least one in the Middle Keys, you won't be diving the same location twice unless you want to. One telephone number is all you need for any location and it's toll-free. http://www.cristalclearcharters.com

I second Conch Republic. You just don't find better folks than Capt Gary and Admiral Brenda. "Not struggle to get aboard"? Well, I've been out with them in 5' seas, and it was a struggle getting aboard, but we dove. No one can take the work out of it. It is what it is. There are no escalators out there. But they are as helpful as any humans, and nicer than most.

You can't go wrong with Conch Rep. In Key Largo I like Ocean Divers and Quiescence.

Cheers.

-J.-

Even though we are in Key Largo.....Silent World offers a great 5 day/dive package. We make every effort not to take you to the same spot during your stay.....unless you request it!

Pat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom