key largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snuggle

Reaction score
can anyone tell me if they have ever dived with aqua-nuts?or give me some good dive shops to dive with down there?thank ya much

You should talk to Raxafarian (on this board). He was just down there...had a great time. I believe he also got some of his recommendations from WreckWriter. So, you might try asking him as well.

Good luck. Have fun.

Matt

There is a really good website with info on dive shops, sites, etc.

www.FlKeysDiving.com

Aqua Nuts would not be my choice. They had an incident leaving a couple folks overnight (lawyers at that) a coupld years ago which has been discussed at length on the dive boards.

There are over 50 dive shops in the upper Keys from Key Largo to Marathon from which to choose. Since I live in the area and work with several of the shops, I'll refrain from making any specific recomendations publicly. I'd be happy to give you my opinions in a private message, however, if you ask.

Where are you staying in Key Largo?

LOTS! They've got two 42' Newtons... nice, big, fast boats.

If you're looking for something on the smaller side (10 divers max), check out our op at www.BlueWaterDiver.net

We're located in front of the Holiday Inn (mile marker 100 oceanside).

I just got back from a trip there three weeks ago to dive the wrecks of the Duane, the Bibb, and the Spiegel Grove. Normally I go for the small operators (I avoid cattle boats), but this trip was organized by the shop I teach for, so we were with Ocean Divers www.oceandivers.com. Ocean Divers is the one of (if not THE) largest operation in Largo. After the trip, I told several friends that I was pleasantly surprised by the friendliness, courtesy, and professionalism of Ocean Divers. They did a super job and dispelled any cattle boats concerns I usually have. They took us to the sites and let us do our thing. While a lot of new divers on the trip were running 20 minute dives, my team ran much longer dives and we caught no flack from the crew.

I can also highly recommend one of the smallest, most customer-service driven operators: Jeff Jarvis and his boat the HMS Minnow. He takes a maximum of six divers, and he goes where you want. A great guy with competitive prices. www.hmsminnow.com. A lot of fun with no hassles.

And as stated above, I've heard Quiescence is great, although I have yet to dive with them. They're next on my list to try.

Went down to Key Largo after Thanksgiving this year and had a great time. Went there with three friends, four total divers. On the reefs two people stayed on the rented boat and on the wrecks we all dove together. Bought a GPS from Circuit City to find the buoy. Could not had a better time because we could plan our dives and times and did not have to wait on a dive boat. Just make sure you can keep your rented boat at your hotel. I have also went snorkeling in Marthon Florida and rented a boat there that we could keep at the hotel and it was great. Picture of shark was at the Duane. !st shark....cool!!!!!!!!!!

I was in key Largo in September, and really lucked out. Despite the hurricane off shore, we chose to dive, and went with Amoray's dive shop, right near the Mariott. I say we lucked out because the boat holds like 30 people or something (though they limit to about 20) but since there was a storm, off-season, etc... we never had more than about eight people on board. The front office was great about rescheduling, as there were times it was good and times it was too rough. Anyway, since I complain when I have a bad experience, I feel like I owe it to the world to speak up when I have a good experience as well. The boat crews were freindly, although no DM in the water, and overall, I would dive with them again.

Just got back from Key Largo. Met with Bob and NetDoc and we dove with Bluewater Divers. KeyLargo Brent is the DM of the boat and he and Cap'n Glen were great. There were 6 divers on the boat, very good, in depth, dive briefings. If only they could have worked their charm on the wind and seas :D .

Will be posting my dive report and pics hopefully tomorrow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom