Kayak Dive, Fort Lauderdale, Saturday morning July 21

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DebbyDiver

Livin' the dream
ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Calling all kayak divers and/or beach divers, everyone welcome, Saturday morning July 21! We will meet on A-1-A north of Sunrise Boulevard across the street from the 1200 building (that's NE 12th Street). Parking is FREE but we will be trying to get there by 7 a.m. in order to get a good parking spot.

If you don't have a kayak but want to dive anyway, it's a nice spot and I'll bet you could find a buddy or three if you show up for a traditional beach dive. :wink:

There really isn't a picnic per se afterward, but bring a chair and your drink and snack and join us under the tents after the dive for some conversation and laughter. This is a Kayuba gathering, but everyone is welcome.

Questions? E-mail me at debbydiver at scubaboard dot com...in fact write that down right now if you are interested in case we lose the boards again.

Im in for the shore dive...
BTW... just arrived to Fort Lauderdale a couple of hours ago, so if anyone wants to shore dive tomorow or friday just pm me.

mynamehere:
will be staying at a hotel on the beach just south of commercial on saturday night.

Hows your schedule for sunday morning?

I'm riding my bicycle in a metric century (100 KM/62 miles). Wanna join me? :blinking:

You'll have great beach diving up where you are...if you post a new topic something like "Visitor wants to beach dive North Fort Lauderdale Sunday July 22" and you'll get a few dive buddies. :wink:

Cool! My gear is by the garage door, my yak is on the car and locked to the rack, and I can't wait to get wet. SEA you in the morning...look for a short klutzy woman with a yellow Prowler 13. That be me. :D

well, there sure was lots of kayakers... but didnt see any divers without kayaks... maybe its because I left to go get a tank at 8am... too bad I missed the dive... again

Mr. Lee, what happened to you? You were supposed to be there...

Chato, it was really nice meeting you and I'm very sorry about that. What I try to do for beach dives is get the other people's cell phone numbers to make sure they are coming. I saw another beach diver in the water and was hoping that you two had hooked up. I know that The Gooch has a midnight dive planned for Tuesday night...you would really enjoy that! Some other locals who beach dive a LOT include Scuba_Jenny, Sperbonzo, and Obxdiveguy. Send them a PM and see what they are up to.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Trip report: I am addicted to kayak diving, it is da bomb!! We paddled about 2/3 of a mile offshore (according to my GPS) in about ten minutes. That is what, a 30 or 40 minute swim and dangerous to boot! I felt very confident being surrounded by other kayakers that boaters would have to be blind to not see us...not the case with a traditional beach dive.

It was so clear that we could almost see the individual coral polyps from the surface before we dropped down to the reef. Barely any current at all, about 2" waves, and lots and lots of sea life. I was with Bob and John but we split up a bit so that our kayaks wouldn't be banging together as we drifted, holding our little folding anchors. I saw many fine crustaceans and even brought up a freshly-dead conch that didn't even have a crab in it yet...no sign of the octopus that apparently picked it clean. What a beautiful shell! I also found a piece of dive gear and if you lost something north of Sunrise Boulevard in the last couple of weeks (it is still pretty clean) PM me and if you can identify it, I'll get it back to you.

We had an easy and sociable paddle back to shore. I have a sneaky new tactic: as soon as a passer-by expresses interest in my kayak, I ask them to grab the other end and help me move it. It really isn't heavy, just unwieldy for one person. I found a victim to help me carry it to my car and got loaded up in no time.

A good time was had by all, and plans for next Wednesday morning made. Goshdarnit but I am in love with my little plastic boat!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OK, who is going to take Chato beach diving? This guy is used to really really cold murky water up in Canada so I suspect he'll find our local dives to be really easy!!

Yeah, well I was about to go solo diving today because the conditions were so good... but when I saw where you guys were, it just seemed like a really really bad idea.

Theres always another dive, Im doing the Sea Emperor tomorow.

PS: Oh yeah I ended up going kayaking later on today... it surely is fun

I'm glad you got to go kayaking and sorry you missed the dive...actually we paddled out to the second reef. You could have swam out until you saw the first reef and dropped down. I'm really sorry nobody else showed up, there are usually a few beach divers there.

Enjoy the Sea Emporer and give us a trip report!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom