Blue Springs Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pdoege

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello -

I dove Blue Springs on Sunday.

Nice site. Blue Springs is a manatee refuge. So there are very strict rules on interaction with the manatees. Basically the rule is don't.

Anyway, the entrance to the springs is a medium walk down a path from the picnic area. I didn't have any troubles (me strong!) but some of the smaller divers complained about the exertion.

The water was around 72 degree F. I was diving my Tilos 3/2 mm suit and I thougth that the water was fine. Some of the women in the group were cold in a 5mm. There were free divers who were not wearing any suits.

There is a brisk swim against the current to get to the springs proper. Probably around 300 feet or so. This tired out some of the party, but I didn't have a problem with it. The current was pretty strong.

There was a mother manatee nursing her calf on the far side of the bowl. I made a point to give her a wide berth. The rest of my group got fairly close to her. I don't think that they had a good idea of how far the 50 foot limit actually is.

The spring itself is a really nice limestone opening in the center of a large bowl. The limestone has been weathered by the water and is really beautiful. The vis was greater 80'. Probably in the range of 150 - 200 feet of vis.

There is a "go no further without cave training" sign at about 80 foot into the spring. I stopped there. The surface was clearly visible from this point.

There are several smaller caverns off to the sides and I had a lot of fun checking them out. There were a lot of catfish and plecostomus . The plecos would let me approach to the point of touching them before slowly swimming away.

I wish that I had brought a camera, the view from the bottom of the spring was fantastic!

During my surface interval I spoke to some cave divers on vacation from St. Louis. They had not brought any gear with them. Sort of silly to come to FL without cave gear! If you guys are on the board, "Howdy!". I hope the rest of your vacation went well.

There were manatees between me and the exit when I got out. You are not allowed to approach within 50 feet of the manatees. I got out anyway, studiously ignoring the 4 foot baby manatee who came over to check me out.

The rangers wrote a citation to two other people who were diving in another group for approaching a manatee. Given the situation, I don't see how they could have avoided it. The ranger was really gung-ho and IMO overly aggressive in his citation writing.

Blue Springs is a great dive. I'll go back when the manatees are gone.

Peter Doege

I have had problems with the rangers there. They got all pissy once because a diver was standing in the water alone while his buddy was standing on shore. They said he was solo diving, I said he is standing in 4 feet of water, which the ranger said they guy could suffer from shallow water blackout! Not if he is standing in shallow water stupid! Ok, sorry for the ranger venting, I had to do it.

Next time you go, instead of swimming up the spring run to the basin , we always walk along the right had side. Its easier than swimming against the current and you will conserve air. The drift back down is always nice though.

Those rangers sound like they might ruin things a bit. I think it's called the "I have nothing else to do" complex. Ah well :sigh:. I've been meaning to head over to Blue Springs (especially since it's one of the closer dive sites to Orlando). Water temp is probably much better than the ocean now anyway.

Maybe I can convince some of my buddies to head over there one weekend. Sounds like you had a pretty good time. We might be able to avoid some 'ranger rampage', since most of my buddies are cops. Although, that probably wouldn't help too much :smirk:.

I hadn't thought about walking on the right hand side. Good idea though. I did see some swimmers walking there.

I had thought that the rangers thing might have been my own bad attitude. Nice to see some confirmation.

It does appear as if they have nothing better to do.

Oh well, it is still a nice dive.

Be safe, and watch out for the killer manatees :)

Peter

Wendy once bubbled...
Not if he is standing in shallow water stupid! Ok, sorry for the ranger venting, I had to do it.

You obviously haven't heard of "toe bends". This is caused by bringing your foot rapidly from 4 feet underwater to kick a ranger in the...well...never mind.

They do appear to be rather anal though.

Phil

hehehe... I know this thread is almost a month old...but in case anyone runs by it...

I was wondering if Blue springs is still full of manatees???

I'm driving up to Blue Springs tomorrow (1/31/03) from Melbourne, FL. I'm taking my Nikonos hoping to get some manatee pics.

My buddy had to cancel so I'm going solo. I know it is a no-no to scuba solo in the spring, but is it ok to snorkel solo or is this a no-no at Blue Springs.

Last weekend there was a big manatee festival at Blue Springs. People were bussed in to see the manatees. According to an Orlando news report, the cold weather FL experienced last week caused 100 manatees to seek refuge in the 72 degree water of Blue Spings. I hope some of them are still there.

I'll report back and if I get any manatee photos I'll make sure to post some in the Underwater Photography section.

Ed

This is a short report on my trip to Blue Springs (1/31/03)

At the park check-in a posted sign said that 50 manatees were in the spring run.

I counted 15 manatees between the marked swim area and the head spring.

The weather was sunny with a day-time high in the mid 70s.

I snorkelled with the manatees for three hours and shot 72 frames of film. There was a mother and calf present. I took several shot of the calf nursing from the mother. Amazing! What I would have given to have a housed digital SLR with a 1 gig microdrive. With my Nikonos I had to get out of the water three times to reload.

It's pretty difficult to keep the minimum distance of 50 ft from the manatees. I just had to lie quietly at the surface and these inquisitive things would swim a beeline towards me for a chin scratch or a belly rub. As long as I attempted to keep a respectable distance between myself and the manatees the rangers didn't hassle me. One ranger actually thanked me for trying to keep some distance beteen myself and the manatees. He told me people can get in the water and take as many photos as they want as long as they didn't aggressively swim after them.

I'll be returning Wed. (2/5/03) with another 4 rolls of film. Wish me luck. I'll be posting some of the photos on the UW Photography section or the forum.

Best Wishes

God Bless the Crew of the Space Shuttle Columbia

Ed :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom