6-packs (or close) in Key Largo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoBlue!

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

We're a group of 4 divers planning a trip to the keys in late May, early June '08. So far, we've done Looe Key for a week (a few years ago) and Marathon Key for several days. In both cases, we went with ops that would pull out from the dock around 8am and took out no more than 6-8 people at a time. This was ideal.

This year, we're thinking of hitting Key Largo, since we'll have a couple non-divers with us (the grandparents to watch the 1- and 3-year-olds!).

It seems many of the Key Largo operators have large boats that take > 20 divers out at a time. Some also have a smaller boat, but I've gotten burned once before when I jumped on a 6-pack and found that it just followed the cattle boat out to the same site to dump everyone in the water at once! So, I'd like recommendations.

Thanks!
Jim

Hms Minnow and Bluewater Divers are excellent ops with no more then 6-10 passengers

Quiescence only takes out 6 packs.

Hi all,

We're a group of 4 divers (going to Key Largo).... ...we went with ops that would pull out from the dock around 8am and took out no more than 6-8 people at a time. This was ideal.

It seems many of the Key Largo operators have large boats that take > 20 divers out at a time. Some also have a smaller boat, but I've gotten burned once before when I jumped on a 6-pack and found that it just followed the cattle boat out to the same site to dump everyone in the water at once! So, I'd like recommendations.

Thanks!
Jim
First pick: HMS Minnow - 27' 6-pack. With four divers you'll own the boat. The captain will get you where you want VERY quickly. And pleasantly. If you're not sure he'll make recommendations based upon conditions and divers druthers and abilities, not fuel consumption. You'll get to the sites first and be back to the dock quickly (without cutting short your S.I.). (AND, he has Capri Suns!)
Quiescence also has a good rep. They're a little further from the dive sites due to being on the bayside.
Scuba Do has a 34' boat that takes ten max. Only been out with them once since the new owners took over but they were OK.

I have been out with Quiessence a number of times and I have always been happy with them.

Everytime I have gone out with Amy Slates, they have taken out the big boat with no more than 8 people....It was great, huge boat, plenty of room and space to get in and very fast exits.....

Im not sure if that is the norm as I dont live there, but it was great having the big boat with a small group! Have a great time, I love the Keys!!! :D

I have been out with Quiessence a number of times and I have always been happy with them.

I've been on great trips with them, and some that were a real bust and "never again"

If their owner is driving the boat that day, pack your gear back up and head back to the car. Trust me, you'll be thankfull. All he did is whine the entire time we were on the boat.

If you can get Capt Steve or Capt Mike, you'll have a great trip though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom