Quick trip to FT Lauderdale Dec 7 to 10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scarefaceDM

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello there

I have a chance to take a 4 day weekend in December 7-10. would like to try and plan a one or two day dive. Plus find a place to stay. Comfy and reasonably priced.

Plan to fly in from Montreal to Ft-Lauderdale ( time to be confirmed) friday the 7th. Dive Saturday or Sunday or both...go explore and take off Monday.

I will be with a non diver. But snorkeling may be a nice option to initiate my non diver wife. Can anyone shed some light on the area, operators that are GOOD and places to stay. I looked into Pro Dive, sent them an email.

any info would be great. and if a buddy would be available..even better.
brief heads up on my diving: I am Canadian eh! so cold water is no stranger. Plus shrinkage I can deal with..:D Hense the drysuit. Nitrox cert. PADI Divemaster Certified...( ya ya ) I dive a backplate and wing HOG set up. Got a few dives under my belt. Last dive was...um September...been busy.

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

As far as dive boats go, there are certainly plenty of choices to look into in the Ft. Lauderdale and surrounding area. American Dream Dive Charters (ScubaFortLauderdale.com - Home of the American Dream II) runs a nice operation. You may also want to try Scubatyme (Scubatyme Charters Information Center) and Parrot Island Scuba (Staff), they're both in the Pompano Beach area (about 5 to 10 minutes North of Ft. Lauderdale), but they also run great charters. I personally use Scubatyme often - their website is not usually up to date, but call the # on the website and talk to Enzo (owner) and he will give you all the information you'll need.

If the focus of your trip is diving, I would probably make arrangements for the diving, then ask the people from the dive operator to suggest a convenient hotel within your price range. Most of them know hotels close-by that will work out well for you. I know that many people that dive with Scubatyme stay at the Sands Harbor Hotel (South Florida Hotel: Sands Harbor Resort and Marina: Pompano Beach Intracoastal Waterfront Hotel), which is located in the same marina as the boat. I've never stayed there, but I know several people who have and have never heard anyone complain about it, especially since they can walk to the boat.

I'm sure more people will offer more suggestions, but that should give you some information to work with!

Let us know once you solidify your plans, because you may just be able to get some Scubaboard divers to join you on your trip!

BTW, the water in this area was approx 78 Degrees last weekend, so I think you may want to leave the drysuit at home for this trip!

Adrian

Welcome to Fort Lauderdale :wink:.... post your trip and let's go dive. We have great wrecks and reefs in this area.
Kim P

Hi ScarefaceDM,

Looks like you've already gotten some great advice!

I dive regularly with both American Dream II and Scubatyme and can recommend both ops.

For snorkeling you may also want to look into South Florida Diving Headquarters (South Florida Diving Headquarters) as they have a glass bottomed boat and occasionally offer snorkeling tours.

If you are into tec, Avid Diver (http://www.aviddivercharters.com) is the way to go...

Most operations also allow non-divers to ride along, so you could check into that for your other half, although depending on the conditions, it may or may not be much fun for her, since conditions can be a bit rough(er) in winter...

There is also an active group of beach divers who, conditions permitting, typically try to get out every week as well.

A bit more info:
Local Diving Info
SoFLA Dive Boats

Let us know once your plans firm up, and I'm sure you will not be at a loss for buddies!

I'll throw in Parrot Island in Pompano Beach as well and they offer snorkeling trips and sometimes mixed trips with both snorkelers and scuba divers. They have combo snorkeling/scuba trips on their calendar for both 12/8 and 12/9. They are really easy to use with online booking available as well.

Both Parrot Island and South Florida offer regular trips to the Pompano Drop-off (the Balls) for snorkelers and divers. I was with both ops this past week. There is always a lot to see. Yesterday, besides the "usual" tropical fish, I came across a green turtle, a 4' nurse shark, and a manta ray in the sand.

Thanks folks...work is piling up...so it will be a last minute thing. I will post the outcome of the trip once I get the go ahead. and I will leave the drysuit in the locker:D

Stephen

and I will leave the drysuit in the locker:D

:tongue2: OK, I'm jealous, because my thin Florida blood is starting to think that it's time to go dry. How pathetic is that?! :lotsalove:

Anyway, just for reference, temps have stayed pretty stable, I was out all weekend, and it was still 77°F / 25°C. I wouldn't expect the water temps to change too much, but depending on current and thermoclines, might get down to around 72°F / 22°C. So, you obviously will want some thermal protection - a couple of guys from NY diving in their swim trunks were a very interesting shade of blue after their dives on Saturday morning! :D

72!..that is very warm water where I come from. try 47°F..now were talking shrinkage and more thermal protection..:wink:

will bring my henderson 7mm the only wetsuit I have...

be good folks, thanks again for the info. Will keep you posted

Stephen

:tongue2: OK, I'm jealous, because my thin Florida blood is starting to think that it's time to go dry. How pathetic is that?! :lotsalove:

Anyway, just for reference, temps have stayed pretty stable, I was out all weekend, and it was still 77°F / 25°C. I wouldn't expect the water temps to change too much, but depending on current and thermoclines, might get down to around 72°F / 22°C. So, you obviously will want some thermal protection - a couple of guys from NY diving in their swim trunks were a very interesting shade of blue after their dives on Saturday morning! :D

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom