Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:
Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.
All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
I'm planning on heading down to Key Largo to dive this weekend. (Fri-Sun) Fortunately, I can drive from Tampa without too much headache. It looks like the weather is going to be decent (at least at this point) with the exception of it looks like it might be breezy on Friday (10-15mph). Is there a general rule of thumb for the dive boats as to how much wind is too much before they can a trip? If it looks like the wind is going to be an issue, I can't see driving all the way down there and not diving. Then again, in FL the weather changes by the second, so who knows.
direction of the wind is as important as intensity in determing if a dive operator will run a trip. current forecast for the upper keys coastal waters are: sat winds northeast/east 15-20kts, and sun east 15kts. i heard there was bluewater/good viz on molasses this morning. i believe the majority of dive operators(the above post was correct, ocean divers runs trips when alot of other boats stay in port) will be running trips this weekend and the northeast/east wind usually brings good viz to the outer reef tract. sporty conditions but definitely doable,,,,
Last edited by reefman; January 23rd, 2008 at 02:50 PM.
Backinthewater and I will be there the following weekend Fri 2/1, 2/2 if you get blown out and want to go out with us=. We'll be diving with HMS Minow to do some of wrecks (Duane, Spiegel G) both days. Fri AM and Sat AM dives.
Our cut off point is anything regularly over 6 foot and exceeding 20knts out of the East. Its true to say that the real smaller boats cant go out in as rough weather, but its more to do with the dive ladder. It doesnt matter what size the boat is, once you get over 6 foot seas it becomes difficult to get back on the boat.
Forecast doesnt seem to be as bad as it was a few days ago.