Dive report Venice Beach Jan 31, 2008 (Alahambra)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Siilverback

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A brisk wind from the West was stirring up 2-3' foot breakers. the visibility at a depth of 15'ft was 1-1 1/2' foot. At a depth of approximately 21' ft. was 2-3' ft. Water temp was a balmy 62 degrees. From the beach it looked like stirred up milk. There was a barge approximately 100 yds. North of the Alahambra culvert pipes doing replenishment causing lot of silt. I had a good time but would have remained home if the wife did not have a day off.:D

Im installing a generator at gulf shores condos(just north of venice beach) and Ive seen that barge out there the past couple of weeks. They are definitly dropping alot of rocks in the ocean.

Yeah, they're dropping an artificial reef that they hope will slow the erosion of the beach "renourishments" and consequent need for dredging the inland waterways.

Just another finger in the dyke

Tell me about it. All their going to do is cover all of our tooth diving areas.:crossbone

Yup! It's a beach suicide for them in a way because lots of folks go there specifically for the toothing! Even on the beach itself. One day the council members will sound like something from Animal House when Stork asks, "Well, what the hell we 'sposed to do ya mo-ron? " when they realize the beach is still eroding, the toothing is gone to heck and the condo's are still in trouble!

I spoke to a Condo owner who said the same thing. He told me how he and his wife used to be able to find hundreds of teeth walking the beach on the weekend. Now you cant find anything on the beach due to the replenishment. Florida is a giant sandbar anyway. Erosion is a natural part of the cycle. What kind of damage are they doing to the marine life by all the dumping.

Somewhere there is a great video that is titled "Living Islands" (I think) that talks about the shifting sands and islands. It illustrated the movement of the island back and forth on the coast changing with tidal conditions. I think it should be required to be watched and tested on for government officials. It would stop the waste of large amounts of public coffers cash on projects as these.

I can not believe that you went and did not ask me to be your dive buddy.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom