North Tampa Bay Area: Dive Conditions Today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SM Diver

Reaction score
Today’s plans involved going a little north (off Bayport), and hitting wrecks and rock piles. We met up at 5:00AM, and shoved off 45 minutes later after loading. Our spots today were 30-40 miles offshore, in only 50-60 ft of water. On this trip were a couple of other guys on Scubaboard, including Shooter Dan, Dive4Blood, and myself.

The scoop:

Water temp: About 53-55 degrees, which was five degrees colder than I was expecting.

Weather: Horrible. Wind, rain, hail, cloudy, and cold. Extremely raw all day out there. The seas were 3s early on, building to 5 in the afternoon. A total butt whooping, with seas quartering most of the day. It was one of those days that was impossible for anyone to get warm. The fact that I was MOST comfortable when at depth in 53 degree water makes the point.

Visibility: The “silver lining.” Top to bottom.

Fish: Given the conditions, I thought we did well. It was really bad out there, and tough to dive in. Nonetheless, the spots were holding fish, and heavy stringers were brought to the boat. I didn’t want to come up from my last spot because it was holding so many fish. I was happy I took my line gun on this wreck because it would have been a nightmare without it. As it was, even with the line gun, it was an effort avoiding tight quarters and snag hazards retrieving several fish I shot.

2%209%2003%20docked.jpg

Gag Reflex loaded and ready to shove-off. Deepfish finishes hooking-up the electronics.

2%209%2003%20gags.jpg

Deepfish and Financial Advis on their first drop. Four nice gagsters, with some hogs thrown in for good measure.

Summary: Giving the conditions, a good trip. I was just noticing how this trip was the opposite of the last. In the Middle Grounds last week, we had beautiful weather with warm sunshine, but very disappointing visibility. Today, horrible weather, visibility top to bottom. Go figure….

P.S.: I did my first hard core diving in my new FredT BP w/ Halcyon 36# Pioneer Wing, and this set-up is friggen AWESOME. Although it was my first dive shooting with this set-up, and getting used to a cleaner configuration, I have to say that the logic of the layout is intuitive enough that it was like second nature by my second dive of the day.

All what fish?

There's 5 guys on the boat, and four grouper in the photo. What do people normally do with fish?

Mebbe you could Fed-ex me a fillet for dinner tommorrow.I don't wanna have to get any of mine outta the freezer.

Not sure that we be practical, 100. But in the spirt of brotherhood, I shall email you a photo of the fillet that I have prepared for myself! :D

We're heading out that way Friday. The weather (wind) is supposed to be good and hopefully the vis will be like your trip.

Nice boat!

Yes, that is the water temp in the Gulf north of Tampa right now, and it is extremely cold in large part to the El Nino Winter we have had. I saw Clearwater Beach went down to 52 a couple of weeks ago after that hard freeze we had. When that happens, Snook start floating. Last year it was 72 this time of year.

Forecast is for temps near 80 over the weekend, so we should be starting a warm up.

I look forward to the pic.Guess I'll have to get some outta the freezer.What'll it be ?Red or Gag grouper,Red snapper,Mangrove snapper,Vermillion snapper,Rock bass,Cobia,Mahi,or Lobster.I love Florida.Except for the 50degree water temps.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom