Alhambra(Venice beach) Muck?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pontiac214

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Good afternoon guys.
While on a recent dive at Alhambra me and my dive buddy swam out prob about 2/10ths-3/10ths of a mile then dropped down to hunt for some sharks teeth. we ended up in about 20-23ft of water.
After hitting bottom we went a little further north and ran into about a foot thick of muck covering the bottom. We figured maybe it was just a patch and decided to swim further north but it seemed to go on forever. Is this part of the beach renurishment? And did we swim to far out? should we have stayed closer to shore to hunt megs?
Thanks for the help.

Yeah, some of us have run into the same thing. I can only assume that is from the beach renourishment project because it wasn't like that before. It would be nice if it were a temporary problem but, only time will tell. I did one dive, a few weeks ago, going south & did not run into any muck in that direction.

If you went out to 23 ft you went to far. I find most of my teeth at around 17 ft.
Start at the end of the condos swim straight out to 17 ft and head south. you will come to a debris field start looking and swim in a circle.

Fgray: we went out this far because we were told the farther you go out the better chances of finding megs. Have you found some good megs in the 17ft-20ft range? Also has any one had any experiance with a rope attachment to your dive buddy? i want to attach something so we can spread out and cover more area but if i use a rope it will drag the bottom and most likley get hung up on rocks any ideas?

I only tried the Buddy line once. Doesn't work well. Explain to you buddy that if you get separated go to the surface find the dive flag and follow the line back down to you. Easy.
I've found 3 in megs several times. Plenty of small ones as well. In 17 ft of water not much to worry about.
If you want large megs you will need to get out in the 25 to 30 ft range that takes a boat and to know where the bone yard is.

Sweet thanks for the info all....we are deff going out this weekend prob on saturday morning if anybody else is out there going we will see ya there.

Pontiac214
Fill out your member profile.

My son and I were at Venice Saturday. We dove Service Club instead of Alhambra. My son pulled the dive flag and I held the spool. At times we were as much as 50 ft apart. Seemed to work well, but vis was great also. We found most of our teeth beyond the pier at 23'. Other divers we spoke with did better at 17'. Next time we go we'll be taking our boat. I'm pretty sure I have the numbers for the boneyard. Maybe you can join us. Won't be going this weekend though.

Profile updated!
That would be great me and my dive buddy are always up to meeting new people and making friends. I have never dove Service Club or the boneyard but have herd alot about them.
Next time you are going out just PM me or email me

A couple of us are planning on being at Alhambra bright and early on Sunday morning. I have used the buddy line in the past, and have no problems. Of course our buddy line is under 10'.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom