4/27 - West Palm Beach / Narcosis Dive Charters - Report!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DixieDolphin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So, I treated myself to a fun little weekend down in W. Palm. Went out on a drift dive trip with Narcosis out of Riviera Beach. I love these guys! Very friendly, very helpful... just an awesome boat to dive with.

Booked through SeaDragons dive shop down in Rockledge. My loyalty to the shop I got certified through aside, it’s also definitely worth noting that they have a nice little deal with Narcosis and actually offer a lower price than the boat itself does (rock on!) It was just a handful of SeaDragons folks on the boat on Sunday afternoon, so very spacious with only about twelve or so divers altogether.

First dive was on Flower Gardens. Visibility was awesome! Something like 70’ or more, by my reckoning. Water was around 78° F, which was a nice change from cold springs! The weather was beautiful, too... bright sunshine and lovely seas. It was a very lively day down there on the reef, too. It was like I’d died and gone to fish-o-phile heaven! There were huge schools of grunts hanging around, like a fishy carpet over the reef. Looked like mostly bluestriped grunts in the big schools, but I also saw quite a few lane snappers. But I’m a sucker for angelfish; always watching for rock beauties (a favorite fish since childhood) and queen angels... and I wasn’t disappointed! Also saw plenty of French & grey angels, banded butterflies, foureye butterflies, stoplight parrots, and tangs a plenty! (Can you tell I love fishwatching? =P ) On the safety stop, I think I caught a glimpse of a mola swimming in midwater at a distance. Those funky dorsal & anal fins are pretty distinctive, but it was at a distance so I can’t say with complete accuracy.

Second dive was on [-]the Breakers reef[/-] Cable Crossing. Again, beautiful vis and comfortable temperatures (even for a skinny warm-water wimp like me... gotta work on developing that blubber layer, I guess.) Pulled some beer bottles and plastic cups off the reef (hey up there, stop dropping your crap on the fish!) Had a pleasant surprise at one point, when I turned to look to my left and realized that a loggerhead was accompanying me! There he was, just swimming along beside me about three feet away. He tagged along for a few minutes, then proceeded on to whatever turtle errands he was about. A little further along, I spied two barracuda hovering motionless against the current about ten or twenty feet away. It’s really cool to see them sitting practically motionless in the water, despite the flow along the reef. Nearby, another diver pointed out a nurse shark. Unfortunately, I didn’t manage to spot it (drat! I wanted my first dive-related shark sighting!) I did see a few rays buried in the sand along the edge of the reef, though.

Came up after the second dive and headed in, with some dark storm clouds rolling in from the south. Looks like we just missed that weather, thank goodness! Funny, though... I drove south afterwards to where I was staying with a friend of mine in Boynton, but didn’t run into that weather down there. Go figure.

All in all, it was a magnificent day! Perfect weather, awesome water! Couldn’t ask for much more! I tell ya, I didn’t want to leave and come back inland to Orlando today. It really hit me when I stepped outside this morning and felt that lovely seabreeze blowing in... I loved that when I lived in Melbourne and I miss it here in the hot, stale air of Orlando. =P

But... I’m sure I’ll be back down there again soon! I have a feeling this is going to be a great summer! Hope everybody else had a great weekend of diving, too!

Hey great report, two questions, what was the max depth and how fast was the current?

keep posted when you plan your next trip. I know some folks who want to join you.

My max was about 60', but at the edge of the reef it dropped down to about 70' to the sand in some places. I couldn't tell you exactly how fast the current was, but it wasn't too bad. Strong enough to carry us along without much effort, but not so ripping bad that you couldn't push your way through it if necessary.

Quick correction... dive #2 wasn't on Breakers, it was at Cable Crossing. Which, as one would expect, had a big ole cable running through it. Seeing as I had just done a Jaws movie marathon at home last week, I got a good giggle out of seeing the cable down there on the ocean floor. :lotsalove:

Love to have more folks come along next time! Hope to be back down there soon!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom