Freedom boat club, west coast of florida, and diving <---venice divers look

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mlynch21

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
If i could afford the gas to tow my boat to Venice from Fort Myers every weekend i would go once a week. The price of gas alone just to tow costs me roughly 100 dollars and i have a small boat... I initially set up this RIB just for this purpose. It is easy to tow, cheap on gas, and good for a couple divers. Now i am having second thoughts... Maintenance towing cleaning launching and everything that comes with this endevour is a major pain.

By accident I came across someone who was selling their membership to freedom boat club in Venice florida. After a little more research I found that with the membership I would have unlimited use at any of their corporate locations including the one right here in fort myers as well as venice and several others around florida. I also have use to their franchise locations but on a limited basis (I think 4 times a year per location). I immediately started to picture myself leisurely loading my gear in my fuel efficient car, saving a ton in gas, hopping on the boat, doing my thing, and then tossing the keys to the boat back when im done. Not nearly as much work... No more preping, cleaning, fixing, launching or anything. Why do i want to own a boat to dive off of?

So what will this cost me? An Initiall buy in... their current membership plan calls for a 5000 dollar buy in then a membership fee of 199 monthly after 12 months. The membership for sale was a bit less for the buy in.... Apparently they have restructured their membership several times and if you can find an older membership for sale it can turn out to be a much better deal. (for example i found a 8000 dollar buy in and 50 dollars a month membership lifetime only problem is this one is on the east coast of florida and at a franchise location and i am not sure if it is transferable to the west coast corporate locations). Other than this the only other cost is gas everything else is covered. Unlimited usage and you can have 2 other members (i think this is supposed to be family). Can bring anyone on the boat as long as a member is present. Supposedly Diver friendly... No tank racks on the boats but this isnt that big of a concern as i could either make my own portable ones or use some bungies. Have locations in many dive locations including one in the keys coming up from what i was told. Several different boats to chose from.

I like the idea of 50 bucks a month a lot more than 199 but i think either way it is a better deal than what i do now. You are basically garunteed a selection of new boats (every january) for the rest of your life... Just replace the used gas.

I figure the cost of gas @ venice would be about nil as their dockage is right by the jettie so round trip to do diving would be a wopping 5 or 6 miles in gas max.

What do you guys think? Anyone ever done something like this? Anyone wanna be my long lost cousin or borther in law and split a membership? <----- i wonder how strict they are about this...

Last edited:
or maybe i should find a buddy in venice and leave my boat up there... still not as cool as having a fleet of boats.

I've had friends look into this but haven't heard much feedback.

Hey, you can always park the RIB at my house, I'm 2 miles from the Punta Rassa ramp :)

I think having the fleet up there would be nice, and I'd love go halvisies but thats not in the budget at the moment.

Cbulla thats a nice location there by shellpoint and sanibel... i live way up river by 75 it is a bit of a boat ride getting out to the gulf.

If you have a sound setup and you're comfortable towing, keep what you have. You get one or two other people to kick in and it's still the cheapest, easiset way to do it. And if all you're ever going to do is dive Venice, keep the boat there.
I looked into that interval ownership thing and decided to pass on it. Other people love it, but then people keep buying timeshares and I can't fathom that either.

The setup is sound for diving 3 people max or maybe 4 with single tanks (i start to run into weight issues)... I really just want something a little larger. What i have can really only serve one purpose. It would be nice to have a boat that firends could come on and non divers... I think what I would really like is a more social boat.

I haven't seriously considered leaving it in venice because i live on the water here in fort myers but i rarely take advantage of it i mainly just dive off it so maybe i should consider pursuing that option.

EDIT**

A representative from the boat club just called me and said he would work out a deal for us forum members. Their first offer was 2900 buy in and 1 month free after that membership is 199 a month. Honestly this doesnt sound like anything amazing because the regular membership is 5000 with 6 months free then the 199. So its only 1100 off. Furthermore just recently they had a deal for 5000 and a year free then the 199... This is less expensive then both options but supposedly they dont do this anymore but when i talked to another location they thought they could honor it. They sound like a bunch of friggen car salesman. Oh and the special offers conveniently expire in a few days... i doubt that.

Last edited:
FWIW, I too looked into a boat club at one point. I stopped looking further when I heard complaints about availability on the boats (people having to book many weeks in advance to get the boat for a given weekend, etc)

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom