Trip report from Key Largo (pre and post Fay)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DamselDoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Fortunately, we did get to go out last week... unfortunately it was only two days. We had planned to spend the week diving with Jeff Jarvis off the HMS Minnow. Of course, we did not plan on the wind and rain. It is hard to whine too much as it was the first time in almost 10 years that we have been blown out this much during a week. On Sunday we dove the Grove and French's. Both were nice dives. I am still amazed at how much life there is on the Grove in such a short period of time. I think I could spend an entire dive (or two :wink:) just photographing the sponges on the crane. After Fay we were fighting the clock and the wind. We dove out on French's yesterday (Friday). Jeff was good enough to let us get in 4 dives Friday since we missed all week (Thanks Fay!) The vis improved during the day but it was still, at best, 20'...maybe..on the last dive. That being said... we saw some really cool things. We saw 2 turtles -- one hawksbill and one green -- feeding on sea grass that had blown in around the reef. There were also schools of hogfish and parrot fish feeding around the grass. Here are a few pics from yesterday...

Thanks again to Jeff for taking us out. We had a great time and hope to be back soon :)

Doc

green_turtle_e_d2_keys_808.jpg

scorpionfish_3_d2_keys_808.jpg

conch_5_d2_keys_808.jpg

Great turtle shot, what type of camera system did you use?

I am using an Oly C-5050/ PT-015 housing / dual INON D180's with -0.5 white diffusers.

The diffusers make a huge difference when shooting in lower vis (like it was on Friday).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom