Venice Beach Dive Report 8-30-08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sh@rkW@tcher

supreme yak diver in charge
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
No. 1 dive buddy (wife) and I dove the blocks reef @ South Brohard park (1/2 mile south of Sharkeys) yesterday. Viz was 10-15 ft, water temp was 87, surf non existant, some red drift algae, but not much, NO Jellies! We made two dives 96 minutes and 60 minutes (cut the 2nd dive short due to lightening). The new reef is teaming with new life, lots of sponges and soft corals, huge schools of large sheepheads, and several almost legal red groupers. If you didn't dive Venice yesterday, it may be 3-5 days before the weather makes for diveable conditions again.

I'm not sure why there is a "thumbs down" icon with the topic line, since I didn't add it!

Hey Mike,

How ya doing? Ya gotta show me where this blocks reef is. Is it new? Was this what the barge was towing down when we were out there?

Hi Dana, Yes that's where the barge that almost ran over ya was headed. Yesterday was my first time in the water since coming back from Roatan. I guess I should post a report and pics huh? I'm not sure I have the patience to sit and post 400 pics. The block reef is pretty easy to find, use the boardwalk @Brohard closest to the road. When you get the water take a heading of 250 degrees. It's about 100 yards offshore in 15-17 fsw.

Last edited:
I have a question With Gustav Hey Mote your in the bizz so whats the surge going to be up the gulf coast?? say from Venice to the panhandle??
Thanks Becky

Becky, I'm neither a meteorologist or oceanographer, but a marine biologist. To answer your question as best I can, NOAA is predicting about 15 foot "storm surge" where ever Gustav makes landfall. The storm surge is a wind driven wave of water pushed by the storm and will subside to 1-2 feet 100 miles from the landfall. The Venice area will hardly notice it. On the other hand the cyclic surge created by the storm will make for exceptional surf along the west florida coast for days afterward. The cyclic surge is like ripples on the water when you throw a pebble in, and continues for a couple of days. The most noticable affect of the cyclic surge for divers is a back and forth current movement near shore that can move you a couple of feet at a time, and can make you "seasick". I hope I've answered your questions, if not, then PM me and I'll try to do better.

I thought it was a cat! lol. Didnt know it was a thumbs down. def looks like a cat.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom