Weekend Dive Report (long)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kjunheart

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Walter, Joanne (JoanneR), Krista (KBeck) & I dove in Boca Raton on Saturday afternoon with Captain Tony of the boat Diversity. This was my second time diving with Captain Tony and he is definitely worth the trip. It is always fun to find another person who has just as devious of a mind as I do! :devious: LOL We will just say that he is a character and makes the boat ride out to the sites fun and interesting!

The first dive was a wreck, United Caribbean. The more I dive wrecks, the more I love them. Joanne advised us not to kick to get down the rope. Instead, because of the current, just use our arms to pull ourselves down. Awesome advice given the current conditions. The great thing that I am finding when diving a wreck for the first time is that you never know what to expect. As we descended the line, visibility wasn’t that great and I didn’t see much as we were going down. But then all of a sudden, the ship decided it would come out of hiding and allow us to see it. It was as though the boat commanded respect from those coming to take a peek. I don’t care what they say about the boat not being haunted despite its history, approaching it was a bit ominous. It was a wonderful site to me.

We explored the hull and then swam through the wheelhouse. As we were coming out Joanne (who was in the lead) just stopped and then slowly crept out. Once I was able to exit, I saw what was in her sight. It was a nice size (4ft?) barracuda just hanging out near the doorway where were exiting. But what made him so cool to watch is that he had a hook and leader line hanging out of his mouth and the line actually had growth on it! Finally he decided to move out of our way and we watched him join the rest of the cuda pack. They were all just hanging out above the boat, in the middle of tons of swirling bait fish! We were kind of hoping we would see the cuda in action but they were just content to hang there. After a couple more passes around and through the boat, we started our ascent.

As we began our ascent, it became clear that either I just hadn’t noticed the current on the way down or it had picked up considerably near the surface. Although both Joanne & Walter said the current wasn’t bad, when I am holding on to the line with both hands and watching the water take my feet, it is a decent current. Their idea (as I am sure most of you have the same opinion) of a good current is when you turn your head and the current takes your mask. Thankfully it wasn’t that bad. It was an experience trying to hold on to the rope on the surface, take fins off & hand them up while trying to not get swept away! All in a days fun, right?

After a nice SI, Cpt. Tony dropped us on a reef, Boca Artificial, which had a really nice ledge. The current wasn’t quite as bad there so we were able use it to our advantage by letting it pull us along the reef. I love this reef! Floating along the side of ledge you get to see so many things that are absolutely beautiful…too many things to name! The most impressive for me was seeing two green morays in holes right next to each other, come out and greet us with their menacing mouths wide open! But, some of my trepidation went away when I saw Walter put his face right up in the face of the smaller one. Yes, he is nuts but it gave us something that much more interesting to watch.

The only negative about the dive is that I had a little regulator issue, which made me nervous. Of course, being nervous, my thinking turned into I wasn’t getting enough air so I started to consume even more air…blah blah blah. Finally, I felt it was time to say enough & we called the dive. Once we were on the surface, Joanne, who services regs, told me that my reg was breathing properly and that the sound I was hearing probably meant that I need to have it serviced. I hate it when I am the reason to cut a dive short. I get so concerned that I am ruining someone else’s dive. At least we got 40 minutes in before cutting the dive short. Everyone was really great about it.

After the dive, the four of us were joined by Joanne’s other half (MB) and we had a great dinner. All-in-all a great day ….how can you go wrong? Warm South Florida weather, wonderful company, great conversations, and excellent diving followed by food & drinks! Life is good! :D

Ooops I forgot to attach the pre-dive photo. Do you think Walter looks happy being surrounded by women?

:)

kjunheart once bubbled...
Ooops I forgot to attach the pre-dive photo. Do you think Walter looks happy being surrounded by women?

:)

Happy? Grinning like a sh!t eating dog.........

WW

"I hate it when I am the reason to cut a dive short. I get so concerned that I am ruining someone else’s dive. At least we got 40 minutes in before cutting the dive short. Everyone was really great about it."

The cardinal rule as far as I am concerned is "anyone can call a dive, at ANY time for ANY reason". If you feel that something is wrong, you call the dive, no repercussions.

glad to hear that you had a good dive on the weekend, we're still a little cold up here for it :D

oh, and about walter grinning? I would too surrounded with those beauties! :wink:

It's a tough job, but somebody has to do it.

That cuda was about 2 ½ - 3 feet long.

Current was similar (close to 1 knot) on both sites, but was less noticeable on the float dive.

Excellent report, Sandy!

Sandy, I'm not shy about ending a dive even on a "feeling." You shouldn't be either.

Walter once bubbled...
It's a tough job, but somebody has to do it.

That cuda was about 2 ½ - 3 feet long.

Current was similar (close to 1 knot) on both sites, but was less noticeable on the float dive.

Excellent report, Sandy!

Sandy, I'm not shy about ending a dive even on a "feeling." You shouldn't be either.

Now Walter, you should never let a woman - especially me - know that what she thought was 4 feet was actually a foot or more smaller! You'll kill my perception of size!!!!!! Geez you'd think you'd know these things!

And thank you all for the support on "calling the dive"...I did it...I just didn't LIKE doing it. :(

Happy? Grinning like a sh!t eating dog.........

LOL!

However, Walter has proven to be the ideal buddy, in my opinion. He willingly imparts his (vast) knowledge, answers stupid diver questions (mine), and never seems to make a new diver feel intimidated or daunted. Not an easy combination to come by! The same goes for Joanne, who I was diving with for the first time. They both exhibited perfect communication for what to expect for the entire dive.
I'd also like to say--While on that wreck I got my first true taste of that makes wreck divers go back for more. I enjoyed the challenge of trying not to bump into the wreck overhead of me, or beside me as we swam through halls, etc. Found out very quickly I had a lot to learn!
As Kjunheart said, the current was pretty interesting to handle--personally, my arm is still sore from that experience. And, she did significantly better than me--I lost hold of the dive ladder while attepting to remove my fins and had to be saved by Walter.....so how do you practice that particular manuever? (Other than doing a little more weight lifting?)
And, a good giggle about ending the second dive--I was so cold I was just WAITING for that "thumbs up, time to go" moment....and didn't want to make the call either! Live and learn!

Thaks to all my buddies for the weekend, and I look forward to the next time (but I may need some time to recover from Capt. Tony's humor...he most definitely requires a thick skin).

:crest:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom