Florida Keys and Newbie Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

javamama

Reaction score
Hi

I mentioned on another thread that I'm working on getting certified. We have a trip planned for the middle of Sept to the Keys. I'm looking for ideas of who to dive with, where to stay, etc. (probably staying in the Upper Keys)

Also, any suggestions for a newbie diving in the ocean for the first time? My husband will also be newly certified. Should we be buddies? Should we look for an outfit that sends a dm with you? What should we expect?

I know that I'm asking a lot of questions, but any advice would be appreciated.

TIA
Sue

I stayed at Kelly's on the Bay a few months ago. Accomodations were excellent, dive operation was well run, and the diving was excellent - Mostly shallow water (less than 50ft) with lots to see.

You and your husband should DEFINATELY be buddies, and regarding the DM diving with you, the only advantage I see in that is that the DM will be able to point out interesting things to see during the dive.

My only other advice: if you have a tendancy to get sea sick or think that you might, bring some medication and take it well before you board the boat. I use the Transderm Scop patch and it works great. There are many OTC drugs as well.

I second TBG's advice on diving with Kelly's on the Bay (Aquanut divers). We had some of our first ocean diving experiences with them and they are just great. Their staff is very accomodating to new divers and very helpful. Kelly's is also a convenient and reasonably priced place to stay...wake up, walk 100', get on the boat! We have a trip scheduled in January and will dive the entire week with them.
My wife and I have always been dive buddies since certification. You will become more and more comfortable as you get to know how your spouse dives, and the memories are priceless. Scuba is a great sport for couples...ENJOY!

Hi Sue and welcome to the board. Here is a place I have stayed in the upper keys http://www.fkeyhaven.com/ . They are a small Mom and Pop place, 60's vintage but well maintained and very diver friendly. The diving in the upper keys is really nice and for the most part fairly easy. As for you and hubby being buddies, well I kind of see it as a yes/no thing. No doubt that the 2 of you should dive with each other and become buddies who are comfortable diving with each other. But if these are your first ow dives without an instructor then it is my personal opinion that having an experienced diver, be it a friend or paid DM is a very good idea. There are so many wonderful things to see and it's such a new experience that it is all to easy to get lost in it all (and forget to keep up with such "minor" things as how much air you have). I am making some assumptions here, but the task loading for these dives is going to be pretty big for a newbie, first boat dives, navigation in unfamiliar waters, the feeling of "being on your own" to name a few and having an experienced diver along sure can't hurt. How about this as an idea. Have a DM along but ask him to "tag along" and let you guys do the "diving" with him as backup.

Question? How much does a DM Cost doing something like that? Does the boat provide them or do you arrange it before hand and how?

Hi Swamp Rat,

They run from about 40 bux to 50 bux. Probably less if there are more divers, but that is up to the dive shop. We charge 40 per person for 2 dives.

Conch

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom