January Water Temps in Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Freakin' cold......

Actually very low 70s. Sometimes a little worse.

Hopefully that's a joke. My last dive was 54 degrees @ depth and this is So Cal! I don't want to even imagine what up north is like right now.... Looks like those relatives in Florida are gonna get a visit from a certain diver.

Here's a link to the NOAA weather station on Molasses Reef.

NDBC - Station MLRF1

At 2 pm friday afternoon the water temp was 75.2 and air temp 71.4. Granted that is surface temp but most of our reef dives are in less than 30' of water so not a great temp difference, a few degrees less at depth. Perfect 3mm wetsuit conditions.

We had a boatload at a few sites off Elbow Reef in the morning and another trip up to Carysfort Reef in the afternoon. Great conditions. Come on down.

Freakin' cold......

Actually very low 70s. Sometimes a little worse.

"Freakin' cold!" :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

We had a boatload at a few sites off Elbow Reef in the morning and another trip up to Carysfort Reef in the afternoon. Great conditions. Come on down.
Carysfort is my all time favorite shallow reef dive! A beautiful reef in great shape!

My group of 4 did have some great dives up at Carysfort with Larry yesterday. He runs A huge boat for A six pack which came in handy as each of our group has major league DSLR rigs.

The vis wasn't chamber of commerce like, but certainly reasonable. And by staying on the deep side (I hit 70' at Carysfort near the lighthouse drop off) I was able to avoid the surge in the shallows. Larry was quite patient as our first dive exceeded an hour. We made it back to the dock around six thirty in the dark - then ate and drank at the Buzzards roost - great time - Larry just needs to but a turbo on the boat to pick up a few knots.

Today's trip was a double dip/deco dive on the Duane with Conch Republic's Aquatic Diver. Just five divers and blue water conditions made this a stellar dive and the folks at Conch Republic make it feel like diving with friends. Two of us did it a single deco dive (44 minute bottom time, 97 minute total run time for me) and the two others did 2 long dives with a hour SI. Bottom temps were in the 74 degree range.

Great diving in the Upper Keys is all I can say

Here's a link to the NOAA weather station on Molasses Reef.

NDBC - Station MLRF1

At 2 pm Friday afternoon the water temp was 75.2 and air temp 71.4. Granted that is surface temp but most of our reef dives are in less than 30' of water so not a great temp difference, a few degrees less at depth. Perfect 3mm wetsuit conditions.

Dear "The North,"

Yes, we know we know we sound silly when we complain about 70 degree water.
Enjoy the winter. We will.

Love,
Florida

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom