Lauderdale by the Sea Beach dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
As a follow up to my dive at the Pompano Drop Off I dove the Lauderdale by the Sea Reef. This reef is found off the end of Commercial Blvd. I dove to the south of the pier though I understand this site also has diving access to the north of the pier. Now, I will not post pics of the reef because they are so similar to those I just posted for the PDO, however, I want ot say, this is a pretty reef and an easier dive with less swim required.

Here is the site:

LBS.jpg

I believe I parked at the Datura Ave. parking lot.

Here is what it looked like:

P6110126.jpg

P6110130.jpg

The Commercial Blvd Pier as viewed looking north from the access point:

P6110127.jpg

Great dive here, notice the dive flag marking the entrance and also on the Google Map. The reef here is not as far as the PDO Reef. While very similar I felt this reef did not have quite as much life, probably due to it's proximity to shore. OK, OK, one pic, here is a typical scene along the reef break, very colorful fish and lot's of whips and fans and that sorta thing:

P6170017_edited-1.jpg

N

Last edited:
Thnx for the info

Nice report and pics. That is a nice dive.

Most popular shore dive in Broward County. Nice photos, excellent report for those that are visiting and wondering what to expect. Thank you.

Cool Beans! Would love to dive with ya'll.. if you'd let me!

nice report: I dove the Datura site for the first time on Saturday. Aside from Blue Heron Bridge (which I have dove frequently), this is my first ocean beach dive. I highly recommend the dive site to anyone that enjoys shore dives. quite beautiful.... just arrive early to getting a parking space.

Back in the day, 1983 or so, there use to be a Mom and Pop hotel about 200 yds south of the pier. We use to spend the every weekend during loster season there. If you swim out past the first reef, over the sandy area and on to the second reef, as I recall 40-50 feet depth there was a lot of bug cover. We would limit out every dive. Did a surface swim out a couple of times, that is one long push. Great memories, thanks Nemrod.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom