Snorkeling off the beach in John Pennekamp?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alexlakeman

Reaction score
I am looking to start exposing my kids to snorkeling and someone mentioned there is decent snorkeling off the "beach" area at john pennekamp... Is anyone familiar with the area? I know out in the ocen at John penekamp is good, but can't really go out on a boat every day...

Any other areas in S FL with decent diving off the coast? ...can't be too far out, as it will be with a 9 and 11 year old.

At high tide, I occasionally see snorklers at blue heron bridge. I have heard the snorkling is good a McAurther Park in Palm Beach County (on Singer Island) as long as the surf is not rough. I snorkled around Carlin Park in Jupiter a few weeks ago. You snorkel over rocks and they are not all that interesting, like a reef would be, but I did see some tropicals, a squid and a fairly large southern sting ray swimming over said rocks. At all of these sites, you'll need to tow a dive flag.

Carlin Park
Main Page - John D. MacArthur Beach State Park Florida State Parks
Blue Heron Bridge

John pennekamp is not worth it , the snorkel area is small and they wont see anything.If your going south then Bahia Honda is great , loads of fish , shallow ideal for your ages.
If your in Key west Fort Zachary is even better. They have placed man made rock piles 20 yards of the coast , loads to see all around. Depth is about 15 foot on the backside and current can be strong so its a bit harder than Bahia Honda.

John pennekamp is not worth it , the snorkel area is small and they wont see anything.If your going south then Bahia Honda is great , loads of fish , shallow ideal for your ages.
If your in Key west Fort Zachary is even better. They have placed man made rock piles 20 yards of the coast , loads to see all around. Depth is about 15 foot on the backside and current can be strong so its a bit harder than Bahia Honda.
Snorkeling with non-divers can be fun at Bahia Honda. Here is a pdf of the Florida Parks guide to snorkeling Bahia Honda. Do not underestimate the current in the channel (easily avoided).

Snorkeling with non-divers can be fun at Bahia Honda. Here is a pdf of the Florida Parks guide to snorkeling Bahia Honda. Do not underestimate the current in the channel (easily avoided).

Thanks to both comments on bahia honda and all the other ones... I am going to start planning the trip this wknd... so will look into that... I was planning to staying in key largo, but if that's that good down there, I need it for them... I also want to go out on a charter snorkeling, so will just have to find one in Key west vs key largo.

I would recommend Captains Corner in Key West they take divers and snorkelers. Located in the port in front of Conch Republic, there is a booth right their .Do not book anything on Duval you will pay extra.

Snorkeling with non-divers can be fun at Bahia Honda. .............

Where, exactly? I have been off the gulf side and off the beach in front of the northern campground (inside the marked swimming area) and have seen exactly 2 fish. Have not been in the area oceanside toward the old bridge. Is it better?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom