South Florida Shark Sightings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CMinerva

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Well I have been diving for two years now. I dive regulary (every month in winter, every other week in summer) and I still haven't spotted any impressive sharks. I have had my share of small Nurse Sharks (mostly while diving in Cozumel). I thought it might be interesting for people to list their favorite dive sites were shark sightings were failry common. Hopefully, this can help my quest in seeing one of these amazing creatures!!

Lots of sharks in Jupiter. It's my understanding that reefs are pretty common at Tunnels, Hole in the Wall (as well as bulls and lemons). There's also the lemon shark migration up there in norther PBC from Dec or Jan through Feb I think?

I'm in the same boat as you, I see lots of "pretty" nurse sharks, but not enough of the vicious man eaters I keep hearing about. I hope to make it up to Jupiter for the lemons this winter.

I've seen more nurse sharks than I can shake a stick at in the Keys (and I'm a drummer, so there's a lot of stick shaking goin' on) I've seen only ONE Caribbean Reef shark in all those dives!

I did probably 40+ dives in South Florida and I saw only nurse sharks, mostly small in continental part and many 10ft+ in upper keys. Most reliable place to see Reef sharks nearby is in Bahamas and for Sand Tiger to drive to North Carolina. And not all reefs/wrecks are equal for the chance to see sharks. You have to mention about it to dive operator in all three locations to have a good chance to see one now days.

Grab a speargun, shoot some fish, and wait for the bulls.

Only place i've seen sharks other then nurse are up in Jupiter/PBC

Grab a speargun, shoot some fish, and wait for the bulls.

Or bag some bugs...buddy of mine that lived in KW for a few years had those problems occasionally!

There a lot of Hammerheads at the Creosote dock in Boaca Grande Pass. Frequent Bulls at the wreck of the Duane.

Last edited:
I say take a trip to North Carolina, dive with Oylmpus, on the Spar and you will see sharks! Lots of them, Sand Tigers. I make two to three trips a year and when we get out the diving is awesome!

I just saw my very first (other than a nurse) shark sighting ever in Jupiter last Saturday. He/she was so beautiful. It feels like I dreamt it, but glad the dive buddy got a picture so we know it was real :wink:.

And not to get off topic, but saw my first Manta Ray in the wild too. A pretty big one. Unfortunately, it was from the boat as we were headed back in.

Last edited:
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom