Looking for a good dive weekend...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Guba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Okay, I'm an out-of-stater (Texan) looking for a place to host a long diving weekend in Florida for a group (Christian Divers of Texas). I've done some internet searches and all I've accomplished is to run around in circles, so I'm asking for some friendly advice from the folks who know the most about diving in Florida...the locals! However, I feel I need to set some parameters: For starters, we have been to Cozumel a few times, and therefore we're sorta accustomed to the dive patterns there...arrive, get settled, make contact with the charters we've booked, and hit the ocean. Proceed to dive our brains out, returning to the hotel for nourishment and rest.

Two, we've also been a bit spoiled by the ease of doing all this down there, and of course, we are pretty much on a budget. I've been told often that things in Florida are probably a bit more expensive, but that's okay...we just want to keep it reasonable.

Three, obviously, we'll be flying in, so proximity to dive locations (and dive boat pickups) is important, and we'd rather not rent vehicles unless absolutely necessary.

Any ideas of destinations/resorts/dive charters that might be a good choice for a four or five day trip in the spring (NOT near spring break, of course)? Thank you very much for any info you might provide.

Disclaimer first:
Cozumel is nice because you can almost be assured of good weather.
The drawback is with planning a diver trip to FL is that the weather is so unpredictable that planning something is so hit or miss. You would hate to get here only to find 4 to 6' waves and no boats going out.

You have a few good choices.
Key Largo/Tavernier/Conch Republic is a good operation, but it is a pretty good ways from Miami Airport, probably need to rent a van. Beatiful reefs and great wrecks.

Narcosis in Riviera Beach is a good operation. About half way between West Palm Beach & Ft Lauderdale airports. Drift diving. Good reefs, maybe some sharks. Few wrecks. Don't stay the niight in Riviera Beach!

There is RJ Diving in Miami. Don't know how close they are to a hotel.

Pompano Beach/Parrot Island is a good operation, not too far from Ft Lauderdale airports. Some nice reefs and wrecks. May have not current or could be drift diving. Good reefs. Some wrecks.
Don't know how close they are to a hotel.

Jupiter is strictly drift diving. Good reefs, maybe some sharks. Few wrecks. Don't know how close they are to a hotel.

I don't really know of anywhere except a few places in the FL Keys that have a Hotel and Dive Operation on site.

Bill

Sea Experience II is on the grounds of the Bahia Mar Resort and it's my favorite local boat. It's a quick taxi or bus ride from Fort Lauderdale International, and you could probably get away with not renting a car, using public transportation and the occasional taxi.

American Dream II is on the grounds of Hyatt Regency Pier 66 Resort and they are a close second in favorites for me. They are also a quick taxi or bus ride from FLL.

Guba, I have to honestly say that you're probably going to need to rent a car. Maybe not for your entire stay, but you might want to change up dive locations to get the best experience of what SE FL has to offer. Jupiter (Jupiter Dive Center, Scuba diving lessons at a PADI 5 Star facility, daily scuba diving trips in Jupiter, Florida.), Riviera Beach (Blue Heron Bridge - easy, shallow shore dive with free parking) and Boynton (www.DiveBoyntonBeach.com) are so far my favorite spots to dive.

Hope you have a great time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom