Help me pick a Springs dive!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GottaDive!

Reaction score
My family and I will be leaving on a two week dive vacation to Florida in August. We would like to get some advice on which springs to dive as we may only have the time for one or two dives before heading to the Keys. Can anyone recommend any do not miss dives? Thanks! :)

Where exactly will you be near? I'd say Ginnie, Blue Grotto, Royal, Troy, Devils Den are your best bets. They are all around the Williston, BRanford, High Springs area.

We'll be coming in from the northwest part of the state and then cutting through the middle. First stop is Ft. Lauderdale, then down to the keys.

If you will be traveling on I-75 I'd go to Ginnie Springs. And if you plan on diving while in the keys, I'd do your spring diving on your way back home, the fresh water dive is a good way to rinse your gear.

www.ginniespringsoutdoors.com

Wendy once bubbled...
I'd do your spring diving on your way back home, the fresh water dive is a good way to rinse your gear.

I thought that is what the hotel pool was for.:confined:

Ok, NW florida, your only real spring dive is Vortex Spring, and "real" is really pushing it. Its very fake, but OK to dive. It has water coming from the spring anyway. Same stuff above for the central florida springs.

Ginnie is the place to go. Lots to see and do for families, especially if not everyone dives. If you all dive, then even better.

HTH,

Once again, I agree with Wendy on the springs she mentioned.

And, I agree with Kurt for the "family fun" of Ginnie. There is inexpensive lodging and a great old fashion diner for good food there too. Plus one of my favorite dive shops.

Blue grotto is really cool but it can really all be done in one dive. Although my best find was in the Grotto. A man's SS ring with a wave design on it. Go figure. I found it and gave it to SJ. It was engraved on the inside with Blue Grotto and the date. It was pretty cool.

For sheer coolness factor there's Devil's Den. An abosolutely amazing place. Beware of the cave wasps. I took off my glove on the platform after the dive and got stung on the hand and it hurt like he!!. We don't talk about it that much because SJ got a little jealous when that DIR "hunk" came to my rescue. (Honestly, he only gave me some ointment for bee stings but... Anyway, we don't talk about that.) Right honey. :D He had a nice dive setup. Cool truck... oh I'm drifting. OK back to topic. LOL

Go to Ginnie you'll (the family will) love it. R

It's hard to burn one tank on all three springs put together without getting board. It's a nothing missed if missed spring.

Spring dives are springs dives. Don't listen to these out of state dive shop tyoes that only come down to watch their students clear their masks.

I live 7 miles from Vortex. It's a fun dive, cavern, cave, tunnels, under water bell large basin, camping go carts lots of fish and eels. Night diving etc. I have dove it a lot. I have not dove it in years as I do not like the she dog that runs the place,..and it is expensive. www.vortexspring.com. I enjoy Morrison call Dennis my last time there I was run over by a very large gator,..you won't see them at the commercial springs

St Andrews jetties and Shell island are good.

Will be hitting Mills Pond Spring run today and Jetties/Shell Isalnd Sunday.

You can see everything one one tank at the Grotto and Den combined.
http://www.geocities.com/krisl_1999/bumper_sticker.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom