Florida Lobster mini season

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JoeJay123

Reaction score
FL Lobster mini season starts Wednesday 7-30-2003 and includes Thursday 7-31.

I am looking for others interested in going bug (FL Lobster) hunting around Central FL either coast.

I am in Orlando so would like to stay north of West Palm Beach.

There was a group that was going to go to Vero Beach (about 1 hr north of West Palm) but it looks like it won't happen.

No cost dive from Beach and should be good pickings since few dive for lobster there. One downside visibility is very random. Some times it's good others it's bad.

Let me know what you think. Also let me know what's going on elsewhere.

Hay Joe,

I don't want to hijack your thread but the title says it all.

I'm down here in Ft. Lauderdale and have reseverations on the American Dream II for the 8AM dive on 7-31 if anyone is interested in joining us.

Scott

JoeJay123 once bubbled...
I am looking for others interested in going bug (FL Lobster) hunting around Central FL either coast.... SNIP...Let me know what you think. Also let me know what's going on elsewhere.
lol sorry we're all going to threadjack this thread! Maybe we need to start new threads for specific times.

In the Ft. Lauderdale area we will probably be diving on Midnight at... oops... I'm sworn to secrecy. Anybody who might want to do a Midnight raid somewhere between Miami and Boca please PM me...

North of Broward, where the limits are higher (12). There is a group of 4 going out on a private boat 3 divers plus captain. Can't invite anyone sorry, but the bugs are bigger further North and more plentiful too!

The bag limit in Broward is 12 also. It's Monroe county and the Biscyane National Park that it's only 6. Other then that I do agree with you about the pickins better up north a little ways.

Good luck to everyone this year, maybe we'll see ya on the boat.

Scott

I want to do a beach entry dive (no cost, no boat) somewhere between Vero Beach and Flagler Beach.

Benefits:
The price is right - Free
Bigger bag limit 12 instead of 6 for down south
bigger lobsters
not so crowded
not as picked over as more south

email me joejay123@earthlink.net

Are there bugs in that area that you can get from a shore dive. I thought the reef line was way way off shore in that area.

Wendy once bubbled...
Are there bugs in that area that you can get from a shore dive. I thought the reef line was way way off shore in that area.

Wendy,

The third reef, the one that all the boats dive on is about a mile off shore if I remember the distance right but the second reef is only about 600 to 800 yards off shore, at least around Ft. Lauderdale. It's a swim but it's doable. It's about 20 to 25 feet deep and has some very nice coral heads with lots of holes for the Lobster to hide in. Some friends of mine and I used to do the second reef every Wendesday night after work during Lobster season and did quite well.

You'll see a few posts for the "Hump Day Dives" around the board but these are all on the first reef which is very shallow and not much to talk about. It's fun to go with all the people from the board like Mike, Marvel, Jenny and a few others but there are only a few nice sections on the first reef and for the most part it's not much more then a pile of rubble.

If you're ever down this way and want to try out a shore dive on the second reef let me know, maybe we can get some of the "Hump Day Divers" together to check it out.

Scott

Scott,

I'm sorry, I was referring to the post about diving in vero to flagler beaches. I didn't know if the same three reef lines in south florida extended that far north. I am familair with the reefs you are talking about. I know that in like the daytona area the reef is like 20 miles off shore, I didn't know if there were any below daytona and above jupiter that were do-able from shore and that contained bugs.

There are some limestone ledges in the Ft.Pierce-Vero area that are pretty close to shore, but in my experience most of the bugs are further offshore.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom