Northern Florida's best of the best?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gav6280

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all my PM's and the advice i received when i asked in my last thread where we should head for on out once in a lifetime trip to northen florida next year.

From that i have compiled a list of great dives.....Hopefully!!

In no particular order:

Ginnie Springs
Devil's Eye
Devil's Ear
Blue grotto
Devils Den
Full day Manatee interaction and snorkelling tour
Drift dive down Rainbow River

I could still do with 3 more dives to fully fill my intinary, what have i missed that's really good. (We are not cavern or cave certified)........

Then the plan is to do 4 days of touristy stuff such as the space centre, etc, etc

Then finally spend a week staying in a diving from West Palm Beach.

All acommdation will be budget motels etc.

Hoping to hire a big double cab pickup to move us and all our gear about in, but not having much luck finding any at the usual rental company's around Orlando airport?

16 days all up including flights to and from UK.....Yippeee.......

Try renting a vehicle from Hertz, they have the big SUV's that you will need for all of your dive gear.

How about the dive at Disney's Epcot center (I believe it is called Dive Quest or something similar). I have not done the Disney dive but did a similar one at the Georgia Aquarium last week. The Georgia Aquarium is the largest tank in North America and Disney's is second largest.

Additionally, if you are staying in the Orlando area, West Palm Beach and Jupiter are only a 2 hour and 30 minute drive: if marine conditions are decent, you could get up early one day and head to SE Florida.

Don't bother with the manatee tour if you aren't going in the colder winter months. Add a shark tooth dive in Venice.

For dives in North Florida I highly recommend diving in South Florida. :D

For springs, add Paradise Springs. On the state parks, Troy Springs Sp, Manatee Springs SP, and Blue Springs SP. Personally, I would try to hit any of the springs on a weekday. Lots of the LDSs use them on the weekends and they can get crowded real fast.
For the state parks, go to the homepage, click on "things to do", click on "activities" then click on the scuba diver icon. It will list the parks where diving is allowed. Certain parks prohibit diving from Oct to Mar due to manatees and others will close to diving if we get a lot of heavy rains. You just have to check with the individual park before you go.

A little more detail..... (The Ruff Plan so far!)

We are arriving on 20th March 2011. (4 Blokes)

Hire big double cab pickup type thing.

1st 5 days In the north ish, doing springs + Manatee etc, will stay in high springs 3 nights then move base to crystal river.

Next 3 days in Orlando doing Universal, Space Centre, Aquatica.

Days 8 - 12 Diving 3 dives a day based at west palm beach diving with Underwater Explorers

Day 13 Off gas day

Day 14 Fly Back to UK.

Thoughts??

you don't need scuba, but you will never have more fun than going for scallops for a half-day in Steinhatchee (pronounced steen-hatch-e). north florida. scallop season is summer months only. hit it on a weekday - too many boats on weekend. go with a guide or rent a boat and look for where the other boats are. real shallow - 2 feet or so. but like an adult easter egg hunt. loads of fun for a family outing. went last year for first time, and now plan on doing this every year.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom