Is it too soon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gmanfunk

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys I got my scuba cert about a month ago and have 10 dives loged. I have my boat and i am interested in going to the local reefs in miami. Do you think it is to soon for me to move away from charters and go on my own with some buddies? thanks in advance. :confused:

Absolutely not! You are certified, you should have the knowledge and skills to plan and execute dives without a DM or instructor present. I say grab your buddies, and hit the water!

Just remember that the mantra "plan your dive and dive your plan" is more than just a saying. It will keep you alive.

I would recommend starting slow and easy.
Hit the balls off of Broward.
There may be balls in Dade, I only know of the balls off of Elliott Key.

PM me if you like for some tips and suggestions.
I do not know it all, but I know a lot.

Chug
Is a "Know-It-Lot"

The boating in Dade County thing is more dangerous than the diving in Dade County thing. I highly recommend that someone be on the boat at ALL times.

There's some very nice and very easy reef dives just outside Fowey Light with ledges that go from 40-60'. Catch it on the incoming tide for the best viz otherwise all of Biscayne Bay is washing out past that reef.

Having someone stay with the boat is probably a universally good idea. If something happens while you are down, you will want someone on board ready to respond (with that in mind picking up some pure oxygen and a rescue diver course might be a good idea). Probably don't want someone "borrowing" your boat while you are down and certainly don't want to surface to find your anchor broken loose and the boat out of sight.

Yep the boat is more worrysome than the diving. Be inviting to other divers!! I am ALWAYS , ALWAYS, ALWAYS looking for a ride to the Rankin, Halsey, or Amazone. Your boat cost you loads of money and friends are willing to help with the fuel cost.

I dove all over Hollywood beach as a teenager with a "basic scuba" certification solo and am still here to talk about it. --

You have a edge though owning your own boat.. many VERY poor, Very experienced divers on here do not and would love to go out on a private boat...

Yes. Just have someone on the boat like posted above and have your dive flag out.

Do you have emergency oxygen onboard? can you handle a medical and/or diving emergency? can you handle a mchanical failure of the boat without endangering your buddies? Are you confident that you can handle all the responsibilities and dangers of boat operation and diving activities from your own boat without needed reassurance from others?

I recommend that you dive from another private vessel operated by an expereinced diver and pay attentiona and ask why things are done certain ways and not others. You will probably learn much faster and safer.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom