High Springs and Ginnie Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

inter_alia

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
On our way back from Key Largo to Alabama, my father and I stopped in High Springs. We stayed at the Country Inn (clean motel, kind of surprising) and dove Ginnie first thing in the morning.

While I am not one to talk about food much, I have to emphasize that Floyd's Diner (across the street from the Country Inn) is just an amazing establishment. There's the typical diner grub but then, I mean, the best Boca Burger I've ever had... and I've been a vegetarian for years now. Their menu is varied, loads of options, and there's a real soda fountain (dad was thrilled) and -- we had dinner there, then went back at 0700 for breakfast. I'm kind of dumbfounded by the place. It's just this lovely mix of nostalgia, hospitality and really good food. They even have a weekly Maine lobster night... I don't know, I just had to talk about Floyd's and wonder if it has a cult following yet.

We got to Ginnie before it opened and then were the first divers in the main basin. We had planned to drift the Sante Fe but it was just brown so -- we stayed in Ginnie and unintentionally snuck up on turtles (one large, several medium and a couple itty bitty ones) in the grasses. Went into the ballroom twice, my first overhead experience which affirmed I'm not going to be a cave diver... but it was neat to watch dad (very experienced diver) get himself up to the grate to hold on.
Mostly it was gorgeous water and we wanted to get our gear in the springs before coming home. We swam up to the river and at one point you could stick your arm out for it to disappear into the river water. Opaque, really.

As we loaded up the car afterwards, several families with small children and innertubes were screeching their way to the steps. Also heading that direction were serious rigs (doubles, dry suits, etc.) on people in a cave diving class. Bless 'em if they were practicing deco.

The facilities at Ginnie were much more comprehensive than I expected. Apparently I underestimate everything. A gorgeous place, and the guys checking us in and taking our money were calm, nice and professional. It would have been nice to have a couple days there just camping and diving a little, swimming a lot.
The area around High Springs on the highways toward Tallahassee is loaded with scenic drives and other springs, too. You could make quite a vacation on all those rivers and springs... I think I'll do more investigating about this. I can't believe I lived in Orlando for three years and never played around that area of Florida.

Yes, Floyd's has a cult following, but so does the Cadillac Motel right down the street from it. People have the room layouts memorized, which ones have full sized fridges, and plugs with a proper ground.

Sounds like you only dived the basin. Next time make sure you dive the Little Devil Run out to the Eye, then the Ear and out into the Santa Fe and cross the river to July Spring and then down to Ginnie Basin. A very nice dive for OW divers. I've done it a few times and enjoyed it when I first started out. I watched the cavers with awe and eventually took up cavediving....love it too.

When next you return you'll be able to make a whole week of the springs....From Ginnie to Devils Den to Blue Grotto to Orange Grove.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom