Any Good Diving Around Cocoa Beach?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aujax

Reaction score
I'm thinking of driving over to around Cocoa Beach from here in Clearwater. How's the diving over there? I take it it's much clearer on the East Coast of FL, right? Can anyone suggest any good sites or charters in Cocoa Beach or nearby?

Thanks!
Aujax

Diving here mostly sucks...There are reefs about 20 miles off shore...No commercial dive ops...all private boats...As an instructor, I take my students to either the springs, West Palm or the Keys.

In the summer or when the waves are really small, there is some really great beach diving (below Sebastian Inlet).

Cocoa Beach/Port Canaveral Diving is WAY off the coast, like 20 + miles out to Pelican Flats. Vis is generally poor, but big lobsters can be found out there. Depth is 90-100 feet.

Sebastian Inlet - about 1 hr to the south end of the county, has 4 different depths. A 20 to 30' beach dive (must have small surf) can be done. Vis ranges from 0' to 10' maybe, make sure you have an incoming tide, as the river water makes everything close to the inlet resemble coffee with a dab of cream - no vis. Watch for the sea urchins too, you get a lot of surge on the shallow stuff and if you're not careful, you hands will be pricked by them as you try to keep off the ledge. Also there's 45' and 60' and 90' ledges. The 90' stuff is very far out, like Pelican Flats. Shallower 45' and 60' sites can get good vis, but need a boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom