Florida Keys - Need Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Finnatic

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My husband and I are planning our first dive vacation and have settled on a week in the Keys. The question is...which key to stay on and which dive op to charter with? We are newly certified and were hoping to start with some shallow reefs early in the week and hopefully log some deeper wreck dives later in the week. I'd also love to try a night dive. I'd love to hear some of your suggestions. We are the pretty laid back types, so glitzy resorts are really not our thing. I did a little bit of online research on Key Largo and was wondering if anyone has stayed at a place called the Hungry Pelican and dove with A Silent World? Also I've heard some good things about Kelly's and Aquanuts and also AMoray. When is the best time to go as far as weather conditions, water temps, and crowds? Looking forward to hearing your suggestions. Thanks in advance :)

Cindy

I dove with Kelly's once, didn't like it, cattle boat operation.
Silent World is pretty good for a less agressive diver than myself. I once spent 5 days waiting for them to take me to the Duane and Bibb (after a promise to do so) and had to go to another charter (the Lady Cyana, I heard they are not in buisness any more though) to get to the Duane. SW does run mostly six-packs which is nice.

Any operation should be able to get you to the reefs (molasses and french), try for Carrys Fort (sp) it is a lot less beat up. Most will also go to the City of Washington (good night dive) and the Benwood. I would not reccomend the Duane for a beginner (115 FSW, can have strong current)

http://www.pennekamp.com/atlantis/ is good with newer divers - the easy dive and fun show will acclimate you to the Keys experience. Besides, "Everybody, everywhere knows Cap'n Slade" and his tame 'cudas and eels. You'll be lucky to see such large creatures up close and personal anyplace else, and its "closely" supervised.

They also do "real" trips, including http://www.spiegelgrove.info/ (which can be tricky so make sure you're up to the challenge). This is still the largest artificial reef in the world.

These two dives will give you a lot to talk about and remember.

Reef dives are the best Keys experience, however, and there are dozens of great operators (as you'll find in this and other threads), so maybe spend your money around.

You're going to have a great trip, regardless. Enjoy!!!!!

Really liked their op alot - they are down in Tavernier now. Smaller boat, will pretty much dive what you want - and they have steel tanks which in my mind is a major plus! We had stayed at the marina del mar - it was OK - I've heard decent things about the hungry pelican Wish I was going!

Slate, not Slade.

I agree with NJDiveGirl, Divers City is hard to beat. I also prefer the diving off Tavernier to Key Largo.

Lots of "Keys style" mom & pop joints in Key Largo & Tavernier, if you aren't going "glitz". (Read Key's style as small/no frills/hole in the wall boardering on dump type places.) Rooms at these can be had for about $50 a night. There is a Holiday Inn that STARTS at $149 per night. Kind of pricey but you know what kind of room to expect. Also they are located at MILEMARKER 100, which is where alot of dive shops are located. For about the same you can get a nice 1 or 2 BR condo at OCEAN POINTE SUITES (MM 90ish?). Which is convenient to Tavernier dive shops and the shopping center and only MOVIE THEATER in the Keys (for rainy-non-diving day activities.)

GO BEFORE DECEMBER 15th when the RATES go to "HIGH SEASON" which means DOUBLE all previous rates!!!!

Pot luck on weather. I have been there when it was FLAT CALM for the whole week. INCREDIBLE DIVING THEN. And when it was windy with ripping currents on the wreck dives like DUANE and EAGLE. Usually not too bad from end of October on since hurricane season is considered over by then.

If you are newly certified, you may have a hard time doing the deep (over 60 foot) wrecks. Some may let you go if you hire a "guide" (dive master) to accompany you. Some won't let you go unless you are at least AOW and had previous deep dives in last 6 months.

Try "REEF ADVENTURES" in PENNEKAMP PARK. They have a big 45ft catamaran with lots of room on deck. They stay in the park area mostly. Do Molasses and French reefs. They also do BENWOOD & CITY OF WASHINGTON wrecks which are in about 45 and 30 feet depths. Gets you around the AOW cert or hiring a guide. Also, while some boats don't have enough divers to go out on trips, REEF ADVENTURES usually goes out due to park draw. Their trips are at 9:30am & 1:30pm. They will do the afternoon dive with as few as 2 passengers.

I try to go 2 times a year. Was down there last over 4th of July 2003. AWESOME fireworks over the sound. But it is HOT and HUMID that time of year.

Have fun.

Mike

The best time of year to go is from May to October. There are far more calm days as the usual northeast trade winds die down making seas flat and clear. The topside and UW temps are also, obviously warmer. November to April means more wind and more waves. Still diveable in many instances, just not quite as comfy.
As far as dive ops are concerned...take your pick. You cant throw a rock without hitting a dive shop, and EVERYONE including me will have an opinion on which is best and why. They can all get you to your destination. If tech is your taste it will take a bit more arranging. For the standard fare..Benwood, City of Washington, Molasses Reef, French, Carysfort/South..Duane..Speigel Grove etc...all are WELL travelled and you should have no trouble finding a ride.
I live in central florida and dive the Keys and East Coast frequently..so from my lips to your ear: Kelly's On the Bay is great if they're not crowded ( which they probably wont be at this time of year..the season dies after Labor Day..then picks up a bit the closer the Holidays become). I dove the Speigel with them in September and had a blast. Amy Slates Amoray Dive Resort (right next door to Kelly's) is also very good, with knowledgable crew and captain..also have a nice stable boat for rough seas.
Diver's City: small boats but frequent all the popular wrecks and can always be seen on the Duane. Oh..if you want a nice place to stay that isn't outrageously expensive..try Amy Slates..I stayed with them in Sept. Room rates are seasonal..they go WAY up at Fantasy Fest, Xmas. New Years etc, but right now are probably quite reasonable. Have Fun! :)

Oh yeah..Amy Slates does a night dive on the Benwood every Thursday night, weather permitting. I've done it several times..lots of fun, well worth it! ZG

is great. They were willing to take me and one other diver to the outer reef and "deep balls".

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom