Shore-Dive, Lauderdale-By-The-Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scurvydog-diver

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I will be in Lauderdale -By-The-Sea, on the 4th, 5th, & 6th of Dec. 2003 before departing on a cruise to carribean. and again on the 15th & 16th. I was wondering if anyone could share some information on shore-diving in this area. I will be staying at the Pier-Pointe Resort. I have no clue if that is a decent place to stay either. I am relitively new to SCUBA. PADI-AOW. With 6 ocean dives, all boat dives. I'm wondering about surges, rip-tides, how far out to the reef, visibilty, etc.

I recently aquired a C5050 w/ PT-15 & YS-90DX Auto, and I'm itching to try it out. ( I've read Dee's and other posts on the OLY ) Is there a dive shop close (Tank-Fills)?. Any local regs. to be aware of ? Is there dive buddys to be found that would put up with a rookie UW Photo guy?

I'm from Missouri and don't get too many chances to dive the ocean. Just lakes. And I'm trying to be prepared.

Thanks, Tom

Tom...I moved your post to the Florida Conch Divers because I think you'll get more responses. These folks can tell you all about diving anywhere in Florida!

If you have any camera questions, come on back to the photo board! :D

You are in a perfect spot to shore dive. You can just walk out to the beach from your hotel and dive. Others more familair with that dive will probably post, I've only done it once.

However, that is a great hotel. I have stayed there several times. Make sure you go eat at Mulligan's on the corner about a block north. Cheap breakfast and the seafood quesadilla is great for lunch.

The shore diving is great there but you're starting to get into the winter season when fronts are coming through. They can stir things up for diving. You will probably be okay but just to let you know it's not a sure thing for good diving.

My family and I have done this shore time probably 20 to 30 times. We normally dive the south side of Anglin Pier (not sure where that is in relations to your hotel -- we park by the Wind Jammer). It is one of the few shore dives that is decent in Florida in the winter (provided there is not a storm right off shore). I have been told by a local dive shop that the visibility can actually be better in the winter because the coral is not spawning - I personally haven't seen much difference (15 - 20 feet).

Deep Blue Divers is right on the corner of Commercial & Ocean (A1A's other name?). We normally fill there. It's walking distance (kinda) from the beach.

First decent reef is about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way down the pier (I can tell where we are by the white sign that tells you to stay 300 feet away) -- it is not a real bad surface swim. Second reef is a little past the end of the pier and worth doing at least once. There are other reef lines a little farther out, but the first two are so good, that I don't bother.

We were there a couple weeks ago and saw several eels, a couple napping nurse sharks and an octopus.

If we were going down there around that time, I would certainly invite you to join us, but we are going to be spring diving then. Have fun and don't forget to take your flag.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom