Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: Shore-Dive, Lauderdale-By-The-Sea

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Question Shore-Dive, Lauderdale-By-The-Sea

Hi, I will be in Lauderdale -By-The-Sea, on the 4th, 5th, & 6th of Dec. 2003 before departing on a cruise to carribean. and again on the 15th & 16th. I was wondering if anyone could share some information on shore-diving in this area. I will be staying at the Pier-Pointe Resort. I have no clue if that is a decent place to stay either. I am relitively new to SCUBA. PADI-AOW. With 6 ocean dives, all boat dives. I'm wondering about surges, rip-tides, how far out to the reef, visibilty, etc.

I recently aquired a C5050 w/ PT-15 & YS-90DX Auto, and I'm itching to try it out. ( I've read Dee's and other posts on the OLY ) Is there a dive shop close (Tank-Fills)?. Any local regs. to be aware of ? Is there dive buddys to be found that would put up with a rookie UW Photo guy?

I'm from Missouri and don't get too many chances to dive the ocean. Just lakes. And I'm trying to be prepared.

Thanks, Tom
    Olympus c5050, PT-015, S&S WAL-L, S&S YS-90DX AUTO, S&S Sea-Arm VI, SONY P-10, MPK-PHA, Sony TR81 in TRS Housing

Dee
    ScubaBoard Supporter
    Go Red - Support SB!

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos

Moved post

Tom...I moved your post to the Florida Conch Divers because I think you'll get more responses. These folks can tell you all about diving anywhere in Florida!

If you have any camera questions, come on back to the photo board!
    Roatan / CoCo View May 10-24, 2014... Come join us!

Registered

Has not set a "status"

cool

You are in a perfect spot to shore dive. You can just walk out to the beach from your hotel and dive. Others more familair with that dive will probably post, I've only done it once.

However, that is a great hotel. I have stayed there several times. Make sure you go eat at Mulligan's on the corner about a block north. Cheap breakfast and the seafood quesadilla is great for lunch.
    Wendy
    Dive safe and educated

Defender!

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos

The shore diving is great there but you're st...

The shore diving is great there but you're starting to get into the winter season when fronts are coming through. They can stir things up for diving. You will probably be okay but just to let you know it's not a sure thing for good diving.

Divemaster
    Badge

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos

Scuba Shades My family and I have done this shore time pro...

My family and I have done this shore time probably 20 to 30 times. We normally dive the south side of Anglin Pier (not sure where that is in relations to your hotel -- we park by the Wind Jammer). It is one of the few shore dives that is decent in Florida in the winter (provided there is not a storm right off shore). I have been told by a local dive shop that the visibility can actually be better in the winter because the coral is not spawning - I personally haven't seen much difference (15 - 20 feet).

Deep Blue Divers is right on the corner of Commercial & Ocean (A1A's other name?). We normally fill there. It's walking distance (kinda) from the beach.

First decent reef is about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way down the pier (I can tell where we are by the white sign that tells you to stay 300 feet away) -- it is not a real bad surface swim. Second reef is a little past the end of the pier and worth doing at least once. There are other reef lines a little farther out, but the first two are so good, that I don't bother.

We were there a couple weeks ago and saw several eels, a couple napping nurse sharks and an octopus.

If we were going down there around that time, I would certainly invite you to join us, but we are going to be spring diving then. Have fun and don't forget to take your flag.
    Is it time to go diving yet?????

Debi