Dive report from Key Largo trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cardzard

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Key Largo dives 10/24,25,26

Dive service used: Sea DWeller package deal 3 nights at Holiday Inn with breakfast buffet and 3 days / 2 tank dives. 276.00 per person.

Accomadations : Very nice with nice breakfast buffet and walk out the door to the boat Grade : B+

Dive Boat : Had everything you could ask for in a dive boat
Grade : A

10/24
Dive site #1 : Benwood wreck
Vis : 75' +
Depth : 45 max
Current: none
Great dive lots of sea life and plenty of cracks to look into. Old frieghter manily intact with scattered debris.

Dive site #2 : French Reef
Vis : 75'+
Current : none
Nice Coral reef with lots of swim thurs and plenty of sea life

10/25
Dive site #1 : Pickels Reef
Vis : 50'
Current : Mild
Nice coral reef with lots of overhangs and cracks to look in.
Seen the largest Brain coral I have seen to date Atleast 12' across and 7' high very cool.

Dive site #2 : Pillar Coral Reef
Vis : 50'
Current : Mild
Very intresting reef with many out croppings of Pillar Coral that were feeding. Lots of spotted eels,lobsters and a very big scorpion fish.

10/26

Dive site : Benwood Wreck again due to weather
Vis: 20' maybe
Current : VERY strong
lots of sea life and plenty of crack to look into. Old frieghter manily intact with scattered debris. Tough dive do to the current.

Dive site : French reef agian due to weather
Vis : 15'
Current : VERY strong
Coral reef with lots of swim thurs and plenty of sea life.
Tough dive do to current and vis.

Well as I'm sure all the Florida conch member know conditions were tough this weekend even in the Keys on SAT. and SUN. but you can"t control the weather. I wish we could have dove Spiegel Grove and some other deep dive but it was a great dive trip anyway. Met some nice people and sucked down a few tanks what more could you want.

Overall Grade : B

I am jealous! I tried to dive the Ben Wood and had a whopping 20ish feet of vis.. It was a strong current on the wreck, but nothing below the sides. :) I did get to see some very phosphoresant triggers though.. :D

I was going to meet you at sea dwellers but wanted to dive the Grove and they weren't going. Sort of rough ride out on 6 diver boat. Two pukers on board. It's a Dive was a really nice outfit to dive with. I was able to get 100cf air tanks. Very casual, didn't hammer me with questions, log reviews, etc. or try to babysit me. Great for me, maybe not for newbies. Crew gave great history on dive site and were very safety conscious. Same deal- great vis, good current,enough to purge my reg on the descent line,but it kept us on the deck side of the Grove, which is the cool side anyway. Will need to go back to get some reef action. Get a room on the east side if you enjoy sunrises, otherwise you'll end up tresspassing. Oh, well, it's Florida, what can I say.

Don

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom