Freshwater Diving South Florida !!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ermaclob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
:lol: im probably going to get a lot of "You need to go up north to dive fresh" or absolutely no answers in this thread, but i cant help asking who dives fresh water. I do dive fresh down here though I've only dived 2 locations, but very frequently. I know alot of people dont think the murky water is any fun and theirs that thing about possible alligators and stuff. but ive found lots of old boats and cars in those lakes and have to say i enjoyed my self. So hell if people way up north in other states can enjoy themselves in the murk y cant we. :idk:

i haven't found that much info on this, i did ask the guy at my dive shop and he said that he didn't really know anyone that dives fresh actively. He also said that he used to go out diving lakes but he would get a lot of crap from people that owned the area. he pretty much recommended #1 to get permission before doing it (.... im pretty sure that doesn't happen often) and #2 research the area and evaluate the plausibility of... hazardous wildlife.

so share, any freshwater stories you've had down here. :coffee:

On a rare occaison I will go over & dive Lake Denton. Only when we've had a rough winter & I'm in serious need of a fix. I figure that there is enough diving going on there that it is relatively safe. I don't mind poor viz as I dive Venice all the time but I definately perfer diving with sharks rather than gators. I wouldn't dream of jumping into any ole lake around here.

You are a brave young man.

I don't think I would venture into any of the freshwater lakes/ponds or whatever you want to call them around here without the fear of getting bit or contracting some sort of communicable disease. However I know there is some lake in Kendall/Homestead area that people frequent; I am sure someone will chime in.

If you would like to venture up North to dive the springs let me know. I try to get up there once a month.

Last edited:
Tigertail Lake just west of Bass Pro in Broward is actively used for training.
Many years ago Crystal Lake on the North side of Sample Road just west of Powerline Road also in Broward County was used for "Open Water" training certifications.
I do know that several new divers/students died in Crystal Lake. I am unsure if you can dip in there any longer.

Chug
Rarely if ever gets into water without salt with tanks on.

Tigertail Lake just west of Bass Pro in Broward is actively used for training.
Many years ago Crystal Lake on the North side of Sample Road just west of Powerline Road also in Broward County was used for "Open Water" training certifications.
I do know that several new divers/students died in Crystal Lake. I am unsure if you can dip in there any longer.

Chug
Rarely if ever gets into water without salt with tanks on.

any particular reason those divers died? other then being new..

Gators I can deal with. Well up to a point. It's the snakes that I hate. Oh and the pollution. I will just keep driving to North Florida. You guys are nuts! LOL.

any particular reason those divers died? other then being new..
I am going back 20 years or more in referencing the deaths, and I am a little fuzzy.
What I do remember is that Crystal Lake is clear, deep, and cold.
There was some poor instruction, some drug and or alcohol issues a time or two, and just plain irresponsible behavior, or so the newspaper said at the time.
Chug
Used to swim there just about every day in the summer around lunchtime.

What are the two locations you've been diving??

the main one i go to is one in homestead right of of bisycane dr, that i was introduced to by he dive shop that certified me. They say you need permision to dive there but i honestly think they just say that to make you pay them to take you there. just go there 2 or three times and you'll see random people go there to swim fish, even ride there boats on some occasions. theirs great stuff down there.

vlcsnap-2012-03-25-20h51m25s60.png

vlcsnap-2012-03-25-20h49m28s193.png

the other one ive just done twice, its one just a big lake next to my house. no pics for that one.

Hello Ermaclob..... WOW MY FIRST POST!!!! I just got my cert and I went to that lake. We might be heading there on Saturday 5/26 to get a little more practice. I really want to get to know some divers in the area, none of my friends dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom