Desperate for buddies all Xmas week (springs, cavern, intro dives)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adder70

Contributor
Reaction score
I will be in Gainesville from Sunday the 21st through Friday the 26th visiting family, and I want to sneak out at least twice, maybe three times for diving, preferably within 90 min of Gainesville. (Manatee, Ginnie, Little River, Peacock, etc.)

I just had my first dives in years last Friday with Kurt, and I am already missing the water! I felt pretty decent with my buoyancy, so I would be OK with a cavern dive or a not too far back intro dive. I would prefer not to run the line first dive, though, as I still haven't touched one underwater in years. (wonder whta the pool temp here in Richmond would be?)

BTW, Christmas eve would be great for a dive if we are back in town by 2pm. I am sure I would just be kicked out of the house during food prep time anyway!

Anyway, anyone interested PLEASE PM me so I can get some dive time in!

I would love to get in a couple of early morning dives on the 26th of December if you are available. I am planning on being up in cave country that weekend. Either Ginny or Peacock would be great - I am cavern certified and trying to get as many cavern dives in as possible before moving on to the next step. I will be glad to run line and do any drills you would like to work on.

I am perfectly fine with the 26th. It was the original date I had in mind when I was only going to dive once (What was I thinking?! :D). I am fine with either peacock or ginnie. If we get any more who are OW only maybe Ginnie might be better, but peacock is my pref for cavern with the $5 entry fee. We just have to be sure to not forget anything since there is no on-site dive shop.

I was wanting to do some dives up that way after Xmas ($ flow allowing) and was thinking the 26th. We're also going to have some Texas divers visiting and possibly some of the Deep South crew. It could be an Early Spring invasion right at the begining of Winter ;D

OK - I have the 26th marked on my calendar - while Orange Grove and Peacock get my vote I will be glad to go wherever conventional wisdom dictates... looking forward to diving with you all !! :)

Where are those locations at i am planning on being up that way for christmas and would like to dive

The range from 1 to 2 hours from Orlando, and probably a similar range of travel times from Tallahassee. Most are probably within 15 miles (as the crow flies) of I-75 between Ocala and the I-10 interchange.

I have attached a pdf with popular cave sites. (see below) Most of the open water dive spots are covered as well. Rainbow River is pretty close to Ocala and Paradise springs, and the Paradise Springs operator supposedly ooperates a nice pontoon boat for diving on Rainbow River as well, so I may contact him to see what the price is for chartering it for a day.

OK, I have the link since scubaboard won't let me attach a pdf.

http://www.cavediving.com/aftp/cave_map.pdf

I may be in gville for that weekend as well, as my parents live there. Diving would be a good incentive to stay longer. I wouldnt mind hitting Alexander, Manatee, or Blue Springs - OC. Madison might also be a possibility. May be a good time to try and harrass some mantee over in Crystal River as well. I'll let you know when it gets closer.

Hey if any of you all get over to Ginnie Springs on the 26th, say high. I'll be down for the first time. Not a cave or cavern diver yet, but hey I just got certified in July.

Jeff=-)

But I may not be diving at other times. I just got back to VA from Orlando. My mother was involved in an accident near Clermont, and was airlifted to ORMC.

[Injury Recap]

She had no life threatening injuries, and in fact no injuries to her torso or head. However, she had severe (but reparable) injuries to her extremeties. She FINALLY had surgery yesterday (Sunday). Her left leg was the least injured. She a broken but not displaced fracture to her kneecap and a severe bruise and cut on her left ankle, so only staples on that leg. Her left wrist was broken and the skin pulled back on her forearm, so a pin will go in the wrist near the staples. That's the arm she was using before surgery. Her right humerus (upper arm bone) was shattered just above the elbow where the nerve wraps half around the arm, so they were concerned about the nerve with any shifting before the surgery. Her right knee was essentially near totalled. The kneecap is broken and displaced, and the lower leg bones were driven up into the joint behind. The fibula had a full but relatively clean break, but the top 1 and a half inches tibia were shattered as it caused severe damage to the joint structure of the knee. No walking on that for at least 3 months, an probably a total knee replacement in a couple of years. The doc said that if they weren't already concerned with the length of time she was going to be in surgery, they would have done the knee replacement now.

[End injury recap]

So, I will be spending extra time with her after I arrive later than originally planned (work backup). Hopefully she will be out of the hospital and in rehab in G'ville when I get there.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom