Weather :-(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not raining here, but says NOAA:

Today: E wind 13 to 16 kt. A slight chance of showers, with thunderstorms also possible after 2pm. Seas around 4 ft. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop.

Tonight: E wind around 16 kt. A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms before 8pm, then a slight chance of showers between 8pm and 2am, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after 2am. Seas around 5 ft. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop.

I haven't walked over to the ocean to take a look yet, but it could be better or worse than that.

It's not raining in Islamorada yet but the forecast says possibly an inch per hour at times, socked in until Thursday!

I did get to Davis Reef and Crocker Reef yesterday! :)

Mike

If you're going to be underwater, does it really matter if it's raining? :D

now, that darn lightning is another story. :depressed:

I'm supposed to be diving with Rainbow Reef in Key Largo on Friday afternoon and then the Vandenburg with Capt's corner on Saturday.... It's not looking too good from the weather forecasts I've seen so far.

Supposed to be out with Key Dives in the AM and back out with Conch Republic for the 1 PM afternoon dive.

Mike

I'm supposed to be diving with Rainbow Reef in Key Largo on Friday afternoon and then the Vandenburg with Capt's corner on Saturday.... It's not looking too good from the weather forecasts I've seen so far.

It won't be flat but at 2-3' seas, nothing will get canceled nor should you cancel :)

How should the weather be around July 7th-14th? I realize that weather is very unpredictable and can change in seconds, especially around the coast and the Gulf. But what have the patterns been around that time?

I dove this weekend. Key largo on Friday and Key West on Saturday.

Friday, I dove with Rainbow Reef. Seas were 3-4 ft with the occasional 5'. The boat ride wasn't bad, but the back and forth on the reef was really bad if you are prone to motion sickness. Even on the sea floor, it was still very back and forth. About 40 minutes into the dive I was puking through my regulator. I was fine on the boat, just the washing machine feeling on the reef, was sickening. My gf (on her first open water dive) also threw up while we were diving. We sat out the next dive because it was going to be more of the same washing machine effect on the reef. I think only a couple of other divers got sick. It was overcast, but other than that, not so bad.

On Saturday we dove the Vandenburg with Capt's Corner (gf sat this dive out as she is still too new to the sport). When we showed up they told us the seas were 5-6 ft and there was a good chance we wouldn't be able to dive but they would take us out anyway if we were willing. I think most people canceled, because I was told it was a full boat when I booked, but there were only 2 other dives besides our group of 3. Anyway, we went out and the seas were pretty rough, 5-6ft, with the occasional 7'. It was really rocking and rolling. The ride out wasn't bad, but being parked on the dive site, and listening to the dive brief was pretty trying for me. I quickly became nauseous but they got me in the water and the dive was great. Little to no current on the wreck, and visibility was around 40'. Once we hit the surface on the ascent I immediately started puking. I laid down with my eyes closed during the surface interval and then jumped back in immediately once the SI was complete. The second dive was much like the first, although I didn't puke on the ascent like last time. The seas were much calmer on the ride back.

As a side note. I took dramamine the night before the dives, and the morning of the dives. It didn't help at all. In fact I think the side effects of dramamine are almost as bad as getting sea sick. To date, out of 6 boat dives I've done, I've hurled on 4 of them. Basically, unless the sea is really calm, I'm puking. sucks...

As a side note. I took dramamine the night before the dives, and the morning of the dives. It didn't help at all. In fact I think the side effects of dramamine are almost as bad as getting sea sick. To date, out of 6 boat dives I've done, I've hurled on 4 of them. Basically, unless the sea is really calm, I'm puking. sucks...

Give Bonine a try, it works for me without any apparent sideeffects.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom