Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weather :-(

Registered

Feeling like a fish out of
    water!

Dives
    0 - 24

Weather :-(

Rain, rain go away!!!

Mike

Registered

If I'm posting, I'm sitting in
    my office instead of drifting
    in the ocean.

Dives
    500 - 999
    It's not raining here, but says NOAA:

Today: E wind 13 to 16 kt. A slight chance of showers, with thunderstorms also possible after 2pm. Seas around 4 ft. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop.

Tonight: E wind around 16 kt. A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms before 8pm, then a slight chance of showers between 8pm and 2am, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after 2am. Seas around 5 ft. Intracoastal waters a moderate chop.

I haven't walked over to the ocean to take a look yet, but it could be better or worse than that.

Registered

water!

Dives
    0 - 24
    It's not raining in Islamorada yet but the forecast says possibly an inch per hour at times, socked in until Thursday!

I did get to Davis Reef and Crocker Reef yesterday! :-)

Mike

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    50 - 99
    If you're going to be underwater, does it really matter if it's raining?

now, that darn lightning is another story.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    I'm supposed to be diving with Rainbow Reef in Key Largo on Friday afternoon and then the Vandenburg with Capt's corner on Saturday.... It's not looking too good from the weather forecasts I've seen so far.

Registered

water!

Dives
    0 - 24
    Supposed to be out with Key Dives in the AM and back out with Conch Republic for the 1 PM afternoon dive.

Mike

Blacklight Poster

keep you from getting bent

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Quote Originally Posted by acteg View Post
    I'm supposed to be diving with Rainbow Reef in Key Largo on Friday afternoon and then the Vandenburg with Capt's corner on Saturday.... It's not looking too good from the weather forecasts I've seen so far.
    It won't be flat but at 2-3' seas, nothing will get canceled nor should you cancel

Registered

I wanna dive...

Dives
    200 - 499
    How should the weather be around July 7th-14th? I realize that weather is very unpredictable and can change in seconds, especially around the coast and the Gulf. But what have the patterns been around that time?
    It's dive o'clock somewhere...
    Friends don't let friends deal with AquaLung customer support.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    I dove this weekend. Key largo on Friday and Key West on Saturday.

Friday, I dove with Rainbow Reef. Seas were 3-4 ft with the occasional 5'. The boat ride wasn't bad, but the back and forth on the reef was really bad if you are prone to motion sickness. Even on the sea floor, it was still very back and forth. About 40 minutes into the dive I was puking through my regulator. I was fine on the boat, just the washing machine feeling on the reef, was sickening. My gf (on her first open water dive) also threw up while we were diving. We sat out the next dive because it was going to be more of the same washing machine effect on the reef. I think only a couple of other divers got sick. It was overcast, but other than that, not so bad.

On Saturday we dove the Vandenburg with Capt's Corner (gf sat this dive out as she is still too new to the sport). When we showed up they told us the seas were 5-6 ft and there was a good chance we wouldn't be able to dive but they would take us out anyway if we were willing. I think most people canceled, because I was told it was a full boat when I booked, but there were only 2 other dives besides our group of 3. Anyway, we went out and the seas were pretty rough, 5-6ft, with the occasional 7'. It was really rocking and rolling. The ride out wasn't bad, but being parked on the dive site, and listening to the dive brief was pretty trying for me. I quickly became nauseous but they got me in the water and the dive was great. Little to no current on the wreck, and visibility was around 40'. Once we hit the surface on the ascent I immediately started puking. I laid down with my eyes closed during the surface interval and then jumped back in immediately once the SI was complete. The second dive was much like the first, although I didn't puke on the ascent like last time. The seas were much calmer on the ride back.

As a side note. I took dramamine the night before the dives, and the morning of the dives. It didn't help at all. In fact I think the side effects of dramamine are almost as bad as getting sea sick. To date, out of 6 boat dives I've done, I've hurled on 4 of them. Basically, unless the sea is really calm, I'm puking. sucks...

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Quote Originally Posted by acteg View Post
    As a side note. I took dramamine the night before the dives, and the morning of the dives. It didn't help at all. In fact I think the side effects of dramamine are almost as bad as getting sea sick. To date, out of 6 boat dives I've done, I've hurled on 4 of them. Basically, unless the sea is really calm, I'm puking. sucks...
    Give Bonine a try, it works for me without any apparent sideeffects.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast