Florida Marine Patrol makes stuff up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cybdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
My buddy was stopped during lobster mini season for a boat inspection they demanded his "Diver License" (No Not drivers) what they wanted was his C card.
Lets be clear there is no such thing as a "Divers License" there is no requirement to have a C card. It is an industry certification and not a requirement to dive. Commercial dive boats require it because their insurance companies told them they had to check it.
They also harrassed the divers down saying they needed a flag, NO the boat has the flag the diver had a bouy so they could keep track of him.
Next they threatened to arrest him, too bad I said it would have made a great law suit. FMP are a bunch of over zelous cops on boats that don't seem to know the law and make stuff up.

Don't be intimidated by the Florida Marine Patrol know you diver rights and laws. They are just looking for an excuse to write tickets.:)

It must have been because of outrageous behavior such as this the the Florida Marine Patrol (FMP) was disbanded and replaced with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission (FWC).

My buddy was stopped during lobster mini season for a boat inspection they demanded his "Diver License" (No Not drivers) what they wanted was his C card.
Lets be clear there is no such thing as a "Divers License" there is no requirement to have a C card. It is an industry certification and not a requirement to dive. Commercial dive boats require it because their insurance companies told them they had to check it.
They also harrassed the divers down saying they needed a flag, NO the boat has the flag the diver had a bouy so they could keep track of him.
Next they threatened to arrest him, too bad I said it would have made a great law suit. FMP are a bunch of over zelous cops on boats that don't seem to know the law and make stuff up.

Don't be intimidated by the Florida Marine Patrol know you diver rights and laws. They are just looking for an excuse to write tickets.:)

Divers ARE required to have a flag unless they are within 300' of the vessel. Proof of identification is also required in Florida. Younger boaters operating vessels are required to pass a boating safety course and carry proof of such. Go to myfwc.com and look it's all there in detail.

The FWC may ask for any of the above items and refusal can result to comply can result in further violations.

Divers ARE required to have a flag unless they are within 300' of the vessel. Proof of identification is also required in Florida. Younger boaters operating vessels are required to pass a boating safety course and carry proof of such. Go to myfwc.com and look it's all there in detail.

The FWC may ask for any of the above items and refusal can result to comply can result in further violations.

He said "Divers License" as in a C-card, or diving certification. ....... Not "Drivers License" as in to drive boat or car. I'm betting you read that wrong. (I did too at first).

there is no law in Florida or anywhere else that requires you to have a C Card. It's an industry standard and not a law. not sure how FWC can write you a ticket for not being certified to dive.

Having to show proper legal ID is a different issue.

On the subject of driving a boat, Florida has no boat drivers license law. it's been tried many times, but the boat industry lobbyists don't want it to happen in FL, because they don't want to deter new boat sales.

I think it would be smart to have a boat drivers law, like many other states do.

Reactions: Jax
I don't buy the story. Sounds like someone with an axe to grind stretching out the story............

Probably not. I have witnessed FMP do things they wouldn't hesitate to ticket you for.

Dale

Cops are liars...I was arrested and charged with battery on an officer and resisting arrest with violence. I was tased 6 times....reason neighbor complain that I was playing music too loud . This cop also tased my wife 10 times and I was screaming "leave my alone alone...you are hurting her". Before she started tasing me she elbowed my wife in the head causing a concussion. We were both arrested on very severe charges. Cost us $15,000 to stay out of jail...we can't sue because of the wording of the plea bargain.

If they were threatening to write a ticket over not showing a C-Card I would have let them. I would have produced a Driver's license and quietly taken the ticket...then gone to court so a judge could explain to this cop that he stepped in it.

Some cops are a-holes, some are great people but all are capable of making a mistake and it wouldn't be the first time a cop tried to enforce a law that didn't exist. The best place to fight that is in a court where a judge will usually follow the law.

No offense, but personally, I think you make stuff up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom