Goliath death for scientific research in Jupiter? +

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amazz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
This is so disturbing to me. Every year, we look forward to diving with upwards of a hundred of these gentle giants, the goliath grouper. This year they are currently heavy in numbers on the Zion Train in Jupiter. At a time when many are looking to hunt lobsters, we spend just a few days each year enjoying this phenomenon that doesn't really occur anywhere else in the world. In fact, in the 1980's, the goliath grouper was so threatened that it was determined there were only a few hands full of breeders left. They have made a miraculous comeback and now aggregate in the Palm Beaches by the hundreds in August and September each year to spawn. Today, I was guiding divers on Blue Tang (Scuba Works.) I won't lie. Visibility was awful at 20 feet. But there were plenty of goliaths and we got close. JD and I saw a large goliath lying on it's side, apparently dead. Upon closer examination, it was still alive, but barely. JD and I made a futile attempt at swimming this fish around to revive it. As we went along, it seemed to breathe a little better. But we determined that it was probably a lost cause and gently placed it in the sand away from the main arena. It was heartbreaking. We noticed two very fresh tags with FSU markings. How sad it would be if this poor fish died because of "scientific research." These fish are hooked and quickly brought to the surface from 90 + feet. Their bladders get inflated and need to be punctured for the fish to be able to swim back to the bottom. This is traumatic to a fish and could very likely cause it's death. Even WORSE: The trauma you see to the fin is part of the sampling by the "scientists." They cut part of the fin for their research. I took these links from Facebook that were contributed by JD and Mickey. Thanks guys. I'll be reporting this to the FWC. However, the phone number on the tags leads to the FWC Field Station. The research is being done by FSU

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/295196_425880347449441_591592596_n.jpg

Dying Goliath Grouper Found In Jupiter, FL - YouTube

ahh, they're all over the place. They should open these up to spearfisherman on a lottery, just like alligators. Besides, they're eating a lot of other valuable fish and lobster. They clearly aren't endangered anymore just like Alligators aren't endangered anymore. Certainly there's a way to harvest some while maitaining a safe number.

Plus, they taste really good.

LOL!! They taste really good....do you mean the worms or the overgrown tough flesh?

Yeah, not sure I'd want to eat a fish that big (or any fish for that matter) not my cup of tea. It would be a good challenge to your immune system.

Anyway, I received some new information on this occurrence. The Goliath in question was caught for the first time about 15 days ago and was tagged. Yesterday, it was re-captured (I do not know the time) and tagged/released again. The person I spoke with contacted the scientist directly. I was told that the Grouper may still revive and that it is not unheard of for this type of reaction to occur. I can't say I'm confident that this particularGrouper will recover, but I guess there is no way to really know forsure.

As I said on my website, hopefully the data from the research is more valuable to this species than one individual...but it is still sad.

Thanks again for your help and posting the picture. I can't imagine that grouper surviving. It was apparent it was lying on one side for a long time. If it was tagged yesterday and BARELY alive today, it doesn't look good.

I'm sorry but that is just a shame.:shakehead:

LOL!! They taste really good....do you mean the worms or the overgrown tough flesh?

Guess you've never eaten a jewfish. Wormy is a possibility with any grouper, but "tough flesh" is a myth.

Thanks for bringing this up. Just because it is science doesn't mean there isn't a better methodology for data collection. I think some people look at animals as dumb things for our own personal entertainment or just food. Others look at animals as creatures deserving of life much like humans. I guess your take on things will determine your reaction to this video.

I wonder if it is still there today.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom