Florida Diving around Disneyworld / Orlando ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve Eady

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My wife has got a class for her work around disneyworld / Orlando ?. While she is in class I will be able to do some diving. Was thinking of a boat dive or 2. We will be there around the first of febuary. Any one have recomendations of sites and operators would be much appreciated. I do not really want to drive that far if it's avoidable.

Thank You
Steve

Unfortunately the closest good boat diving is in Jupiter. Capt Sl8r is well regarded in Jupiter -- Capt SL8R Dive Charters

There are dive charters that go out of New Syrna Beach, which is a lot closer, but you have to go further on the boat as they are not as close to shore. Also the water is colder and murkier.

Don't forget the dive at Disney's EPCOT at "the living seas." I did it and thought it was meh, but a lot of other people loved it. Here's a link:
Epcot DiveQuest | Walt Disney World Resort

Last edited:
You are about 2-3 hours drive from many of the springs in cave country, Atlantic Ocean our of Jupiter, and Gulf out of Venice Beach, Clearwater areas. So many great choices...you will need more days.

Your best shot for boat dives is either Jupiter Florida or West Palm Beach FL. Jupiter is closer and deeper. I think the minimum depth there is 80' and it is all drift diving. It is well known for large critters: turtles, goliath groupers and sharks. West Palm Beach is just a bit farther down. The drift diving there is at 60'. You can also dive the Blue Heron Bridge at West Palm if you want to do a shallow shore dive.

Basically Orlando is mid state with the closest diving a minimum of 2 hours. I never recommend the Springs to people not Cavern qualified so that leaves the two Coasts. You could jump on 4 West to Tampa or Florida Turnpike South for Jupiter/West Palm. Either choice equals lots of driving.

Thanks everyone, Looks like we will extend the stay a few days and drive down a little farther. Are the water temps around the mid 70s ?. Trying to see if we can go down to Key Largo.

Thanks
Again

Thanks everyone, Looks like we will extend the stay a few days and drive down a little farther. Are the water temps around the mid 70s ?. Trying to see if we can go down to Key Largo.

Thanks
Again

In February you'd be looking at low 70's for water temp.

If you're thinking about diving Key Largo I can highly recommend HMS Minnow -- DIVE KEY LARGO - SCUBA with HMS MINNOW DIVING CHARTERS, Florida Keys Pennekamp Sanctuary. It's a small boat but the service is top-notch.

Basically Orlando is mid state with the closest diving a minimum of 2 hours. I never recommend the Springs to people not Cavern qualified so that leaves the two Coasts. You could jump on 4 West to Tampa or Florida Turnpike South for Jupiter/West Palm. Either choice equals lots of driving.

I will...

There's tons of great springs near there and they are awesome dives and perfectly safe for open water diving.

Central Florida's Top 10 Springs - OrlandoSentinel.com

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom