Florida Keys -- water temp?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sactomags

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone tell me where I can find what the water temp is in the Keys now? Will a 3mm suit suffice (I'm from CA and dive a 7mm in the chilly waters of Monterey, so I don't chill that easily)?

Tanks!
Margaret

Hi Margaret,

Try this link, it most likely has what you want. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the red triangle marked "MLRF1". You will find the current air and water (70 & 77 if I remember correctly) for Molasses reef, a reef in the upper keys. There are other weather stations in the area as well. http://www.marineweather.com/FrameSEUS.html

That was what I was looking for. Thank you very much!

Margaret

Awesome sight Spyder, thanks for the site.

It was my pleasure. I, myself, was looking for some time for a water temp map...mostly to try to convince my buddies here in NJ that "....no, its not to cold yet to dive the Jersey shore....loke, its only er,mmm well 45 degrees feels like 80 in a 7mil...honest!..."

So I have finaly contributed something more useful than my opinion to the board. Horay for me! :wink:

So can I be a regulator yet? huh huh huh? hehehehe

ST

It was 77 degrees on the Bibb yesterday.

Conch

I dive in Florida Keys every chance I get. From December to March the water at depth (60 ft or more is generally in the low to mid seventies. The other times of the year the temps are 80 and maybe as high as 89 in the late summer.

I dive with a full 3 mm most of the time. When the waters are down in the low to mid seventies I usually dive 6mm. A hood is somtimes used if the wind is up or there are jellyfish floating by.

By all means to enjoy Florida always wear exposure protection. Fire corral is no fun and your post dive comfort is ensured. If you are diving the fabulous wrecks, always wear full exposure suits and gloves. You may at time need to hang on especially if you dive the Duane, Bibb or Thunderbolt.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom