Sea Camp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kayla

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hello everyone. I'm looking at an internet site that has information about Sea Camp in the Fl. Keys. I was ondering if anyone has any experience with the camp/ and or any information in general, it looks kind of interesting. (And doing a search of the board didn't bring up anything!)

Thanks!
Kayla

Kayla:
Hello everyone. I'm looking at an internet site that has information about Sea Camp in the Fl. Keys. I was ondering if anyone has any experience with the camp/ and or any information in general, it looks kind of interesting. (And doing a search of the board didn't bring up anything!)

Thanks!
Kayla

I was the Business Manager there for a few years in the 80's. Its a good camp for kids.

Seacamp This is the URL for their website.

I was a science instructor there for four years, and the senior instructor in '01-'02. It's a pretty neat place with the best marine science program for kids, period. It's starting to show its age though, as they can't get permits to construct new buildings, and the '98 hurricane thrashed 'em good. Looks a lot like a trailer park in the front now. They have a pretty website but it's not very informative. I guess it really depends on what your kids want to do. I don't think anyone has a better snorkeling or an OW certification program for children. They also have the biggest and most comprehensive summer staff training... in the world. Virtually everyone is a lifeguard, and most are rescue divers and skin diving instructors.

The underwater areas around Big Pine are suffering like all the rest of the Keys, so if your children want a more pristine reef to look at I suggest one of the Caribbean camps (actionquest, odyssey adventures, broadreach). Those camps are more expensive however. Seacamp advertises trips to Looe Key but the kids actually may go there only once during the typical 2.5 week stay. The inshore Newfound Harbor reef gets visited far more often, but as anyone will attest it's in a very bad way.

I can give you more details on the place, just ask.

Wow! I'm so excited to hear that place is still going!

I went on a class trip of about 20 students in March '96 - we absolutely had the time of our lives! (Except for a couple of makeup-crazy freshman girls, who were stumped by short-showers request and the squid dissection!)

I just did some digging around and found a trip report I wrote right afterwards... I've posted it here in case you want to see what a week at Sea Camp was like for a bunch of teenagers:

http://www.thelaitys.com/seacamp/seacamp.htm

Forgive the amateurish writing style... it's basically just a journal entry, and I was just 17 at the time. :)

This really takes me back... I hope that place sticks around long enough for me to send my kids there one day!

Thanks you guys! Actullay I'm looking to go myself... (I'm 15) and I was just wondering if the place had good programs. I don't think it really matters what the buildings look like, if you can do things that are enjoyable while you're there...... Anyone have any idea about cost however?

Thanks again-
Kayla

The 2002 rates for campers were something around $2500 for the typical 16-day session. There are three sessions, with session I starting in late June and session III ending mid-August. Third session never fills up 'cuz its too close to east coast school seasons, but its usually got the best weather (which is SUPER IMPORTANT for diving/snorkeling).

The costs are a little less if you're not scuba diving, and a little more if you want to get OW certified there. A lot of campers keep a few hundred bucks in "camper bank," which is used for land field trips (one per scorkeling class), gift shop stuff, and heaps and heaps of ice cream bars. Overall the cost of going to this camp is on the high end, but still considerably less than a liveaboard camp.

Regarding the science courses, there are a couple dozen to choose from. Everyone takes one, many people take two, and some nuts take three. Each snorkeling science class (the biggest program) consists of four boat trips, two labs, and one van trips (seven classes total). Despite the catchy titles, most courses do remarkably similar things. Almost all classes are permitted just one trip to Looe Key.

Scuba science class (called SCUBA II) are for certified divers, and ALL seven classes are boat trips (and dives). There are only three decent dive sites, however. The "science" aspect of these classes varies tremendously according to the instructor... expect a lot of scenic tours for the most part.

A NAUI Master Diver class (SCUBA III) is offered every session, but fills up so quick few first-year campers take it (returning campers get first picks on classes). Same goes for Shark Biology and Underwater Photography.

Regarding the "look" of the buildings, I normally wouldn't mention it except that the place really does have some run-down parts, even for a camp (and I've worked at six). Bathroom/shower facilities in particular are the worst part... girl campers have actual fights over the bathroom in their cabin. The dining hall and labs are 1960's era and horribly overloaded (they have two meal shifts in order to fit everyone in). And they haven't built any new flattops (their teaching boats) since 1998; the older ones (#1, #10) are showing their age. Liveaboard camps on the other hand use mostly newer catamarans with cute cabins and modern furnishings... then again you're stuck on the boat most of the time.

There's also a land-based seacamp with a scuba component in California on Catalina Island. Some of my friends have worked there and like it a lot. The climate is certainly more agreeable in the summer. And they have whales and sea lions. No coral reefs though. The Catalina program has more non-science activities, and a prominent bird nature program.

Sounds like you already made up your mind on Seacamp Florida though. You'll have an oustanding time! Tell them you talked to me (archie), and maybe they'll give you less "lip."

Bob3:
Hmmm---- $2500... How 'bout an "apprenticeship" on a commercial bug boat?
All the bugs you want to dissect, & a lot of other marine critters (edible) can be dissected as well. :wink:

You can sign me up for that! Fishing boats are one of the BEST ways to see wildlife. Trawlers are particularly good. Your typical oceanographic cruise costs a fortune and berths are fought over tooth and nail. I WISH I knew some commercial fishermen...

archman:
I WISH I knew some commercial fishermen...

Here ya go.... Check out this site...

Be aware, this has been called the most dangerous job in the world.

BTW, I am taking a troop of 30 scouts to Camp Cherry Valley on Catalina this summer. Had to reserve our slot 2 years ago. We are seriously looking forward to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom