Planning a trip to the keys - Need advice please.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dstrawhorn

Registered
Reaction score
I am planning a trip to the keys this summer and wanted a little advice. There will be both divers and non-divers going. I get the impression the best diving seems to be around the middle/upper keys (largo, etc). Is there much nightlife, restaurants, and other things to do around these areas so the non-divers get to have some fun too?

I'm also wondering if anyone has any lodging suggestions. It would be great to rent a house on the water for a week.

Any suggestions, comments, or links to other websites with info would be great.

Thanks for the help!

hi there,
I can't help with house rentals, I have stayed in several hotels in Key Largo if you wan t info on them, PM me. (Ramada, westin, best western, holiday inn, hungry pelican)

As for stuff for non-divers, there is snorkelling- obviuosly, and sunset dinner/champagne cruises, all manner of water sports (jet skis, parasailing etc) . As far as bars are concerned- there are several around MM100, not really 'party style' but good enough fun. There are also nice restuarants and that sort of stuff. If you have non-divers, you might want to consider on eof the resort places that includes access to the watersports and has on site bars etc.
The keys are good fun, I go a couple of times a year, but I have to say that the topside entertainment can be a little lacking. If your group is easy to please you will be OK though.

I went to Key Largo in November. I can vouch for The Hungry Pelican, a litte cramped but a good deal. We used Silent World Dive operators, and I was very happy with them, I was able to buy a dive package and get really good pricing on the dives. We had some pretty rough seas, lot of surge too. So I was told that the summer would be much calmer. We had an excellent dive on the Speigel too, almost no current, and good vis. I intend to go back during a summer, as a "budget" trip.

Just returned from a weekend diving with Silent World and staying at Sunset Grove, next to and owned by the Hungry Pelican. Saturday the boats were full to the max and with rough seas we didn't travel very far.
Last Oct we dove with Aquanuts and stayed at Kelys on the Bay. Because thsie boats are docked right there you don't have to drive anywhere. Walk out of your room and get on the boat. They also have a place to wash and story/dry your gear right by the boat so it is handy for the next day. Boats are bigger, 42'. Rooms are about the same as Hungry Pelican. I'd go back to Aquanuts before Silent World. Nothing wrong with SW just not as handy .

DH and I went to Islamorada to dive in October and had a wonderful time! We stayed at Smugglers Cove (very basic) and dove with Ocean Quest Dive Center- great dive op! In fact, we enjoyed it so much that we are returning with the family (kids and my Dad) in tow for spring break in a couple of weeks. DH and I are the only divers in our group, so we will have plenty of non-divers along on this trip. I am certain there will be plenty to do outside of diving...spend a day in Key West, fishing (book charter for day trip and night trip), snorkeling (we are doing a combined dive/snorkeling trip with Blue Water Divers), sea kayak trip, hiking etc. Definately a full week of activities for all!

We have rented a four bedroom house on a channel (those houses directly on the water are $$$$$ - $2,500 and up a week) with an in ground pool for a week from Wheeler vacation rentals. Here is their website if you want to look at it - rentals..www.FreewheelerRealty.com . Another less expensive option (if you want/need less expensive) is to rent a condo. Tons of them in Key Largo/Islamorada/Tavernier.

We are scheduled to be in Islamorada from April 10- to April 18, I'd be glad to update you on the trip from the non diver prospective when we return.

Just returned from a week in Key West. We stayed in a place that sounds like it wouldn't meet your needs, but there's definitely a lot for nondivers to do. As for diving, I very highly recommend driving 20 miles up toward the mainland and diving with Jim Wyatt of Reef Divers. My wife & I just dove with him and had a fabulous time. You'll dive the Looe Key Reef in places where many of the dive shops don't go, the Adolphus Busch, and you'll be very well taken care of.

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom