Diving Key Largo with Rainbow Reef Dive Center

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrich2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just got back last Saturday from a week stay at the Courtyard Marriott diving with Rainbow Reef Dive Center, which was well-regarded both here and on Trip Adviser.

1.) Diving with Rainbow Reef Dive Center: Here's a breakdown of how it works. $644.95 for 20 dives.

1.) Each boat trip does 2 dives. I think a trip is around $75 or so; there are package discounts; I did the best package rate, 10 boat trips (yeah, 20 dives), which made it $60/trip plus tax. I paid $644.95 at the end, for the diving (not counting tips).

IMG_1649_zpsb363253d.jpg

IMG_2903_zpse5dba796.jpg

IMG_2906_zps8b6233c1.jpg

2.) The boat goes out in the morning around 8 a.m.; you'll have booked in advance, but check in with them. The first dive may be a deep dive (e.g.: Spiegel Grove, Duane, Bibb), followed by a shallower reef dive. Figure on a 30 to 40 minute or so boat trip out to the first dive site, shorter to the second.

IMG_2913_zps6601f809.jpg

IMG_3451_zpsca2c7b74.jpg

IMG_2930_zpsf3f9780d.jpg

IMG_3026_zps1c1e1bf7.jpg

3.) A free dive guide is put in the water; 2 if it's a pretty big group. You don't have to follow the guide if you don't want. The Captain will likely tell you something like 'pool's open,' please be back in an hour.

IMG_3928_zps4a9f7def.jpg

IMG_3565_zpsd06cb03d.jpg

IMG_3571_zps2963f9d6.jpg

4.) Boat should get back somewhere in the ballpark of noon; you'll likely get a 30-60 minute break till the afternoon boat goes out. If you stay at the Courtyard Marriott, that's time to hit your room and eat something there.

5.) The 2 afternoon dives will be relatively shallow reef dives. I'm talking mostly 20 - 40 feet deep.

IMG_3392_zps8357aaa0.jpg

IMG_3730_zpsadbca391.jpg

6.) Viz. my week was around 30-50 feet. Not was good as Bonaire or Curacao. On the other hand, I saw goliath grouper on the Spiegel Grove and Duane, and both nurse sharks and reef sharks on the reefs, and I'd never seen either in Bonaire. I saw quite a few black grouper, 2 Nassau grouper, a bunch of large barracuda, several big green moray eels, and on some reef sites a whole lot of fish.

7.) Staff were fun, friendly, helpful (e.g.: often changed my gear over from one tank to the other after the first dive), safety conscious and the dive briefings were practical and helpful (from both Captain and the guides).

8.) When we did the wrecks, we giant strode in with a 'granny line' in one hand (a rope from the back of the boat around it to the mooring line out front), went around & went 'hand over hand' down the mooring line to the wreck; came up the same way. Ropes didn't have anything on them that stung me, but had plenty of barnacles; you might want a pair of gloves.

IMG_3622_zps298aac61.jpg

9.) You need AOW to do the deep wreck dives; couple of guys didn't get to do them. They were asked if they had log books showing recent deep dives, and they didn't. Not sure what might've been worked out if they had.

10.) Tanks were 80 cf aluminum. They had a pair of 3300 PSI 100 cf alu. tanks available by special request, and that's all I dove with all week. My fills per my Atomic Cobalt were around 2800 to over 3000 for the week, but my Oceanic VT3 tends to give PSI listings about 70 higher than my Cobalt.

11.) When you end a reef dive, you come up behind the boat & grab a rope, take off your fins, and pull yourself to the ladder. In this shallow top water layer, we encountered moon jellyfish; dinner plate-sized jellyfish with short tentacles that can sting painful. I'd use a fin in hand to shove them away from me. Seldom saw jellyfish down on the reef; mostly an issue getting out (and that's prob ably what stung me on the legs jumping in one dive, though it felt like sunburn and went away quickly).

To sum it up, loved my 20 dives out of Key Largo, loved Rainbow Reef Dive Center, and the free guide service was a real plus that not everybody offers. But call; they may be booked up when you go. Also, if you're a 'dive your tank' type who wants to dive well over an hour on a tank, this might not be your match.

The Florida Keys is a charter boat dives destination; not much shore diving if any from what I understand.

2.) The Hotel (Courtyard Marriot - Key Largo): It was okay; had a mini-fridge, 2 queen-sized beds, a t.v. I never turned on if memory serves, and the in-house 'Bistro' restaurant was billed as geared towards healthy food so I didn't eat there. There's a microwave downstairs off the lobby. Sometimes they put out free popcorn and/or cookies, and we grabbed up some of that. 3 Adults & 1 infant for the 7 days, non-Marina view (would've cost around $100 extra for that) - $858.41.

3.) Airfare & SUV Rental - 3 Adults (from Nashville, TN to Atlanta, GA, to Fort Lauderdale round trip) with 1 infant in lap so free, plus we checked her stroller & car seat for free anyway) on Delta, including an economy mid-size SUV rental: around $1,416.04 (via Orbitz).

4.) Upgraded to Buick Enclave SUV (for more luggage storage) - maybe $188.81? There either was or will be over $20 charge for optional use of their gadget that collects our toll road use info. without us having to pull over & pay at booths, and we'll be billed later for toll road use. Factor in a couple of tanks of gas. We relied on our State Farm insurance, and didn't buy any from them (Budget Car Rental, Fort Lauderdale Airport). Let's call this category $300, as an overestimate.

Not counting food of non-diving activities, total trip cost (rounding for easier math): $650 + $860 + $1,400 + $300 = $3,210. Factor in varied tips, for diving, shuttle drivers/luggage handling/carts at airports, etc..., and let's call it an even $3,500. For 3 adults & a baby to spend a week in Key Largo, with 1 of the adults getting in 10 boat trips/20 dives. Not counting food or non-dive activities.

I tried pricing that against a trip to Bonaire, and came out closer to $6,000 (if we flew to Miami, then used Insel, and stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment at Buddy Dive).

5.) For the Non-Diver:

For the non-diver, not familiar with the southern Florida area, and wife and even more so mother-in-law prone to sea sickness, and an everglades boat tour wasn't advised for an infant due to noise, and the baby was too small for a dolphin encounter trip, so the options chosen where: They drove to Key West to the farthest southern U.S. point (mother-in-law wanted to), visited a bird observatory, toured the Everglades Alligator Farm, went out on the glass-bottomed boat to see Molasses Reef out of John Pennecamp Coral Reef State Park, and my off-gassing day 3 of us went to Jungle Island in Miami (around 1 hour, 40 minute drive each way, Miami traffic kind of 'speed up/slow down, fairly close' and aggravating (we live in KY, and don't have to put up with that all the time; some of you wouldn't notice it).

Wife was annoyed that there wasn't general public access to stereotypical gently sloping sandy beach. Most places it's more marina-style; you walk to the water's edge, and there's a steep vertical rocky drop-off of a few feet to the water.

Richard.

---------- Post added October 3rd, 2013 at 01:44 AM ----------

I'm posting some more shots I took on the trip.

There were a lot of big barracuda.

IMG_3801_zps32541fe1.jpg

I'm told this is a ridge-back stingray.

IMG_3860_zps8d181979.jpg

We saw some green sea turtles, and I particularly liked this hawksbill sea turtle.

IMG_3650_zps2353b96a.jpg

I'd never seen a shark on a scuba dive before this trip, so the nurse sharks were neat to see.

IMG_3427_zpsa779b65f.jpg

IMG_3325_zps761d43ef.jpg

I really enjoyed the reef sharks. I'm not sure of just what species. Some of these are more than one shot of the same animal. I used Adobe Photoshop Elements 'Auto Levels' enhancement to try to improve the shots on the reef shark shots, & later realized I had Elements set to Auto Level all the shots when I multi-processed them to reduce resoltion; that's why the 1'rst 2 reef shark shots are now psychedelic looking.

IMG_3434_zps66f18711.jpg

IMG_3433_zpsc825e32d.jpg

IMG_3865_zps346caef4.jpg

IMG_3864_zpsfca91eac.jpg

IMG_3862_zpsafedb869.jpg

I know my review was long-winded, but I hope to offer the kind of help to other divers that I needed planning this trip and found much of here. For a given potential dive destination, I like to know travel costs, lodging & diving costs, the 'work flow' of the dive day, whether I can get in more than 2 dives per day, a good place to stay, what he diving is like, etc...

Richard.

Great writeup and pictures. We are Rainbow Reef fans as well, and have stayed at the Courtyard a couple of times. A very convenient way to dive.

Pro-tip for next time: Hijack one of the hotel luggage carts, they make fantastic dive / dry racks, and roll right to the elevator and downstairs :)

It's nice to dive the Keys. I usually rent a 2 BR condo at Moon Bay through VRBO.com for less than the local hotels. What sucks for the FL dive industry is that you can dive Cozumel for the week with everything included for less.

Thanks for the detailed review Richard :D It's always nice to live vicariously through others! I'm glad you enjoyed the reefs of Key Largo. We started visiting there around 12 years ago and really enjoyed diving with the folks at Rainbow Reef. During that period we decided to pursue our Advanced certifications so we could enjoy the deeper dives like the amazing wrecks around Key Largo.

From that point we "spread our wings" and began to travel to different dive spots around the world. We enjoyed exploring different zones and identifying different creatures in some phenomenal places. Now we are getting older and our inclination is to stick closer to home. We wondered if Key Largo would live up to our wonderful memories now that we have a substantial basis for comparison. Not only does it still live up to our memories...it still exceeds our expectations! We find that the sea life in Key Largo is plentiful, varied and exciting. We have seen things last year and this year that we have never run across anywhere else in the world. So Key Largo still holds us captive!

We have compared costs of going to Key Largo vs. other Caribbean diving locations. While the cost is definitely more affordable, there are more things to consider than just pure trip cost. Key Largo is located in the U.S., so your health insurance will work there. If anyone in your family gets sick, they will have access to good healthcare. If you get in an accident while diving, there are medical facilities available to you. You don't have to worry about whether the water is safe to drink. If you forget to pack something, there are stores all around that will be happy to sell you what you need.

It's just so darned...EASY! We have learned that it's really not a problem to drive down to Key Largo from our home in Louisiana. We love hanging out together on the road and really enjoy the journey. So once we get there, we've already got a way to get around - no car rental necessary. I have recently been searching for vacation rentals in Key Largo and have found that's a great way to save a few bucks instead of staying in a hotel. There are really no negatives to consider when planning a dive trip to Key Largo. That's what keeps us going back time after time! Well, that and the friendly folks at Rainbow Reef Dive Center :wink:

Very nice write up. On your next trip consider going to Zoo Miami as well. It is a nice very large zoo on 900 acres. It is not far from Key Largo and is pretty big. In terms of nice white sand beaches Key Biscayne in Miami would probably be your best family spot.

Thnx for posting. For future reference, Sombrero beach in Marathon and Ft Zachary beach are both beautiful

also consider ft lauderdale next time -- lots of stuff for non-divers to do and the beaches are great. Plenty of dive ops and lots to see.. reefs, wrecks, and critters galore :) west palm/jupiter aren't bad either.

Thanks for the info, 4 of us will be there over Christmas & have been trying to figure out what op to use? RR sounds like a solid op.

Used RR this January and was VERY happy with them. We were happy with the Marriott as well.
RichH

W2GLP:

Regarding trip cost vs. Cozumel, Bonaire or wherever - the Key Largo trip was probably about the cheapest I could swing. I was the only diver of 3 adults, and I don't think the hotel cared how many people were in the room. Some places, like some in Bonaire, tend to charge per person, based on 2 or more. I priced out packages in Bonaire (which I've been to 7 times, at 3 different places). I tried to price Scuba Club Cozumel, but their website doesn't give me a simple 1 week scuba package deal where I can put in # of people, dates, etc... In other words, I wasn't facing any 'single's supplement' cost, and yet having extra people didn't run up costs too bad, except airfare and baggage.

Luscioman:

We'd like to've hit the Miami Zoo, and it would've been closer than Jungle Island by aways, but the wife thought our baby might be overdoing it if we tried to take in a big zoo (even in a stroller).

DwellerBottom:

When I researched, a number of dive op.s in Key Largo had good reputations and satisfied former customers, and I think a number are in this marina area. Rainbow Reef Dive Center seemed to have the largest amount of consistently good press with little bad, and being basically at the end of the Courtyard Marriot parking lot, the location was good. I'm one of those 'turn-key' dive tourists, like the cruise ship 'pod people,' and I like simple and easy on my trips. No driving to or from the dive op.!

CajunDive:

Availability of U.S. healthcare was on my mind, traveling with a 6 month old baby. Mother-in-law's in her early 70's. Something to think about.

As for stores, sadly no Wal-mart, but they had K-mart and Walgreens for miscellaneous needs, and a Publix for groceries. And if you travel with a baby, you're going to have a miscellaneous need or two.

JesperS:

I've gotten to where I'm a human dive gear rack; I just wear it back and forth. And get a little ribbing from people who see me and are like 'Gee, wonder what you're planning to do today?' One of these days I'm going to say 'Snorkeling.'

Deeper Thoughts:

Thanks for the tip; Sombrero Beach sounds like it would've have been all that far south of Key Largo, and could've worked out. Mainly, my wife wanted to introduce our baby daughter to the sand and beach for a little while.

ILuvTheOcean:

Interesting thoughts. I did a little research into other Florida diving locations, but it seems like the West Palm Beach region and the Florida Keys garner the lion's share of ocean diving interest.

Miami has a lot of wrecks for wreck diving, but to me, a wreck is structure for drawing sea life; I like some wreck diving, but mainly reef. Wife is OW & Nitrox certified only & likes warm water, great viz., very little current, shallow diving on pretty reefs (basically, Florida Keys reefs, St. Thomas and some Bonaire shore diving). Miami doesn't seem to get a lot of buzz as a preferred dive destination, far as I can tell.

Fort Lauderdale likewise doesn't seem to be a big target of dedicated dive trips; more a place people might dive while they're there for other reasons, or am I wrong about that? How does their diving compare to the Keys?

Jupiter sounded great for seeing goliath grouper & some sharks, but likely less than steller viz., substantial current and drift diving (wife didn't dive this trip, but I thought she was going to). I've got a buddy going to medical school in Chicago who's more adventurous than my wife, and he might be good for a Jupiter trip (but he's really prone to motion sickness; so is my wife. Scopolamine patches helped). I like the idea of some West Palm Beach op.s offering steel 120's with option for nitrox, but it'd be an up charge.

I like to do 16 to 22 dives on a 1 week trip. With Rainbow Reef out of Key Largo, I had 20 in 5 days flat.

Richard.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom